A new era in cooking for me...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
So here we go...

Half with pepper jack, half with some pulled pork chopped and mixed with some BBQ sauce...

i236.photobucket.com_albums_ff121_tRdoc_Sous_20Vide_20170506_164827_zpspdfd1rpy.jpg

A little more topper...

i236.photobucket.com_albums_ff121_tRdoc_Sous_20Vide_20170506_165202_zpsemibh7hu.jpg

Don't worry, they're not done YET. Still got more to do with 'em!

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like they need some good bourbon bbq sauce.

You came close to guessing it...

The pepper jack and jalapeno ones are done, just gotta be smoked.

The ones with the pulled pork are going to get about a 1/2 tsp each of brown sugar over the top and then drizzled with about a 1/2 tsp each of Elijah Craig before going on the smoker. I'm thinking they will be awesome! :D

Glock_21

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
TR, not sure what kind of smoker you are using but if/when you need a new one....look into the Masterbuilt electric smokers/MES. I was a DIE HARD stick burner guy for a long time but got one for Father's day last year and I smoke now more this past year than I ever did with my stick burner, combined. The customer service they have is top notch too!

I love doing a reverse sear on my steaks using the MES. I've considered doing the vacuum seal method but never got around to it.

Electric smokers are the way to go. The "purists" hate them but you can make some great Q and not have to tend a fire all night. It's like the Ronco "set it and forget it" method of smoking.

I bought a Cookshack knockoff a few years ago. It was a great addition to the patio.

http://www.smokin-it.com/Smoker-p/smkmdl3.htm

Powerman620

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, after I bought my Joule I found a couple of coupons for $20 off, and another guy on AR posted a $20 off coupon code (I dunno if those are stackable), and then yesterday Anova publishes a $50 off coupon for Mother's Day, which would make the Anova dang near HALF of what I paid for my Joule!
where do I find this coupon ?

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I may try the chill, smoke, and grill method. But I fail to see it being worth a lot of effort or time. Another trick that gives me this opinion is the way and what I use for a grill. Lump charcoal is seriously another animal compared to briquets. I just finished a T-bone that went straight from the water bath to the glowing hot coals and honestly can't see a lot of room for improvement. I keep it simple, some Montreal steak seasoning, and minced garlic. Maybe a touch of Lawry's seasoned salt too depending on my mood before vacuuming. 1.5 hours later I fire up the grill so I'm probably at 2 hours in the sous vide.

I have a Big Green Egg but a Weber kettle grill will burn lump just fine. It's probably a better setup for indirect on this particular cook too. I have a time lag going from low and slow to roaring, it's not long but still there.

Stay away from Cowboy brand lump. It's crap. Royal Oak is the best deal going and it's the same exact coal as Big Green Egg sells at less than 1/2 the price.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I may try the chill, smoke, and grill method. But I fail to see it being worth a lot of effort or time. Another trick that gives me this opinion is the way and what I use for a grill. Lump charcoal is seriously another animal compared to briquets. I just finished a T-bone that went straight from the water bath to the glowing hot coals and honestly can't see a lot of room for improvement. I keep it simple, some Montreal steak seasoning, and minced garlic. Maybe a touch of Lawry's seasoned salt too depending on my mood before vacuuming. 1.5 hours later I fire up the grill so I'm probably at 2 hours in the sous vide.

I have a Big Green Egg but a Weber kettle grill will burn lump just fine. It's probably a better setup for indirect on this particular cook too. I have a time lag going from low and slow to roaring, it's not long but still there.

Stay away from Cowboy brand lump. It's crap. Royal Oak is the best deal going and it's the same exact coal as Big Green Egg sells at less than 1/2 the price.

I can't tell if you're salting at the time of sealing, but I've become a disciple of Meathead's method of dry brining meat, especially beef. 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt per pound as early as you can. (1/4 teaspoon if using table salt)

I'm sure you'd have to adjust that somewhat if you're using two other seasonings that have salt, but the idea is that the earlier you salt the meat, the farther the salt penetrates.

it's really made a difference for us, especially on thicker cuts. It means you get a more even salt flavor throughout the cut and is very easy to do if you plan ahead. It's almost to the spot where we wont do a spontaneous cookout if we can't get the meat prepared early enough.

Latest posts

Top Bottom