Read before you travel!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Exactly, it must be a 30.06 sign and it has to be posted at all public entrances. If a sign is not posted with the EXACT language the law requires you can feel free to ignore it though. So going to a mall where there is a no weapons rule including firearms it has no force of law. You can be asked to leave but at this time it must be concealed and rendered completely unseeable so it shouldn't be a problem unless you have a big mouth.

As far as the OP, it is ALWAYS a good idea to read up on the state statutes when you travel. Some states give those signs the force of law and some don't. Other states will not allow you into stores that sell any alcohol even if it is for consumption off property.

When I travel I live by opencarry.org and handgunlaw.us and will even download a copy of the information from handgunlaw to carry with me for refference. It helps keep me safe and sane rather than second guessing something I can't remember after crossing state lines.

Speaking of Texas 30.06 signage, just read an article about the OC bill that has passed in Texas and businesses will be required to have 4 signs if they don't want people to carry. English and Spanish versions of 30.06 for concealed carry and English and Spanish versions of 30.07 for open carry.

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I seem to recall that NM also has a law prohibiting carry anywhere alcohol is sold, which includes almost every convenience store.

If I remember correctly, that law only applies to those without a permit. Obtaining a permit will allow you to carry in those establishments.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can carry in a place that sells beer, just not places that allow consumption.

They do not have to place the sign at the door. They can place it anywhere in the business.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is another reason why I rarely leave this great state. I went to Texas a couple of years ago and was nervous the whole time. Just being in a state that is more strict with there signage and things made me nervous.

BuckFuller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Humm... wouldn't "4th degree felony" refer to a federal law not a state law? Is there a federal law against carrying in somewhere that has a gun buster sign posted?

I took my CCL class at 2A here in Tulsa and our instructor said that all they can do if they catch you carrying (in Oklahoma) in spite of the sign is ask you to leave and if you refuse then they can call the police to have you removed. Not because you are break any law, but you are breaking their RULES as a retailer. He went on to say that there is no actual law against it here and said he carries regardless of a retailers signs.

Last edited:

Commander Keen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Humm... wouldn't "4th degree felony" refer to a federal law not a state law? Is there a federal law against carrying in somewhere that has a gun buster sign posted?

I took my CCL class at 2A here in Tulsa and our instructor said that all they can do if they catch you carrying (in Oklahoma) in spite of the sign is ask you to leave and if you refuse then they can call the police to have you removed. Not because you are break any law, but you are breaking their RULES as a retailer. He went on to say that there is no actual law against it here and said he carries regardless of a retailers signs.
In the situation above you could be cited for trespass, just as you could if you were unarmed in the same situation.

Bluewing

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just got back from a bike ride to North Dakota--Big billboard on the side of the interstate--WEAR FUR, EAT MEAT, HOLD ON TO YOUR GUNS--yeh, yeh, wished i would of took a picture.
Nebraska was the only state i went through that had "printing" issues, as for as what i read before i left.

Latest posts

Top Bottom