Real Black Powder in Oklahoma?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruger461

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm trying to make some black powder cartridges for my sharps 45-2.4 but can't find any powder. Does anyone know where in Oklahoma to get a couple pounds? Thanks guys.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't have a clue in your area. H&H in OKC carries it from time to time, but give a call before making the drive. Dong's in Tulsa had a bunch last time I was there, but that was awhile back. Or you can order it through powderinc.com.

About any of the subs will do quite nicely, if you're not a purist. I prefer the real thing, but sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do to send rounds downrange.

ruger461

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm fairly new to BPCR and I hear so much stuff both ways about using the substitutes I don't know weather to try or not. And although I have watched the YouTube vids on making your own I wouldn't trust myself, at least not with the sharps, maybe with the front stuffer. :-) thanks for the heads up on dongs though. I get to Tulsa from time to time. Last time I called down to H&H they said sure we have it so drove down to get a couple pounds and they handed me pyrodex. Guess I'll b more clear next time.

BuckFuller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hell make your own . That would be cool !!!

Bathtub formula for black powder is some powdered charcoal for fuel, potassium nitrate (saltpeter) for oxidizer, a little sulphur as a burn rate modifier and there you go. BE CAREFUL THOUGH, without the proper guidance, I would not advise anyone to make black powder for any firearm!!!

On a serious note... If I were looking for some black powder, I believe I saw a little bit at Sports World the other day and you might try the new Jerry's Outdoors Supply, they have a pretty good supply of powders in stock.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For BP or sub loading volumes try this: set a bullet on a table. Place a piece of dowel next to the bullet. Mark the dowel at the crimp groove or wherever you normally seat. Now add powder to the case. Insert the dowel till it just touches the powder. When you get enough powder that your mark indexes on the case mouth you are getting close. For 777 FFg that is your load. Do NOT use 777 FFFg for cartridges. For the other subs add enough powder so your index mark is 1/16 to 1/8 inch above the mouth. For real BP you can go 1/4 or even more. I use 65 grains of Goex FFg and compress it quite a bit. After getting the amount of powder that fits your dowel mark then weigh the powder and there is your charge weight in grains.

Be careful not to compress powder with your dowel. You just want to touch the powder.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ask your local shops. its an explosive not a propellant. Therefore it is against the law to openly display and must be stored in a portable magazine and kept within a few feet of an exit in case of fire. Many shops stock it BUT YOU HAVE TO ASK!

Latest posts

Top Bottom