Reasonable suspicion/ R.A.S.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berettaman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK let me see if I get the question down to a kindergarten level.
I'm minding my own business standing with my grocery cart full of food.A cop comes and gets in line behind me.He can ask me if i have a permit? (at which time I have to show it?)
A SIMPLE YES OR NO will be the correct answer.

okiebryan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If he demands that you produce it, then according to state law, the answer is YES. Him just asking if you have one, just answer in the affirmative. Let him ask for it.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK let me see if I get the question down to a kindergarten level.
I'm minding my own business standing with my grocery cart full of food.A cop comes and gets in line behind me.He can ask me if i have a permit? (at which time I have to show it?)
A SIMPLE YES OR NO will be the correct answer.

Yes.

So how do we get certain cops to understand that the law is what it is? I've had almost a dozen conversations with various LE people over the past week. There is a lot of misunderstanding about what they are allowed to do. Some think they get to run a license through OLETS absent any RAS at all. Some obviously think it's OK to disarm and frisk those who have displayed their SDA license. Some think that a traffic violation gives them the "criminal activity" needed to seize and inspect (run the serial number). I'm pretty damn certain that's not what the legislature intended.

All the large agencies are doing in service training on the matter. At smaller agencies, it will be (or already has been) sent out by the state that the law has changed and what is or isn't allowed from a LEO standpoint. As to whether the POC that receives the information is correctly passing that information down to the rank and file officers is up to them. I'd say that if you have an issue with an officer exceeding their authority, it should be addressed with their command after the fact. If the response is not satisfactory at that level, there are several options, to include notifying the civilian authority over the agency and the state itself.

Latest posts

Top Bottom