Reciprocity, Constitutional Carry and state permits.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kimber

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I read through a recent post about Arkansas passing Constitutional Carry. I think this is an awesome idea for Oklahoma, however because of the reciprocity involved in carrying in other states, a concealed weapons permit should still be available. However, it shouldn't cost more that a drivers licence and should be issued imediately like a D. L.

The process to get. C.C.P. would be go to a Oklahoma Tag Agent, agent does nics, you pay your money they issue your licence. Wouldn't be mandatory but would be available.

Why does the state of Ok. need to know where you have lived for the last 10 years? Your employer? If you not a felon, have the cash why should it take months for the state to grind it's gears?

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I read through a recent post about Arkansas passing Constitutional Carry. I think this is an awesome idea for Oklahoma, however because of the reciprocity involved in carrying in other states, a concealed weapons permit should still be available. However, it shouldn't cost more that a drivers licence and should be issued imediately like a D. L.

The process to get. C.C.P. would be go to a Oklahoma Tag Agent, agent does nics, you pay your money they issue your licence. Wouldn't be mandatory but would be available.

Why does the state of Ok. need to know where you have lived for the last 10 years? Your employer? If you not a felon, have the cash why should it take months for the state to grind it's gears?

Part of what the state does is also a mental health check with the Department of Mental Health. Depending on your age they may also do a check with Juvenile Services, and they send a copy of the fingerprints to the FBI for a federal check. It's a little more involved than a NICS check. You have to remember that not all states submit their mental health records to the national database so NICS isn't always up to date.

Kimber

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What I'm saying is that it shouldn't be anymore involved than a Nics, IF you elect to get a permit. I understand it is a long beuacratic process which infringes on my rights. Why should it be?

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Let me see if I understand your post.

You're suggesting that, if you can legally buy a handgun, you should be able to carry it for self defense, without a permit of any kind.......and, if you want a permit to allow you to carry in other states, you should be able to walk into your local tag agency, have the same background check required if you were buying a handgun, and walk out with said permit when you pass the background check. Does that sum it up??

While any permit is an infringement on your rights, I think you are on the right track!!

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What I'm saying is that it shouldn't be anymore involved than a Nics, IF you elect to get a permit. I understand it is a long beuacratic process which infringes on my rights. Why should it be?
I agree with you in that the process should be simpler, I was more answering your question about why it takes so long.

If I remember correctly, Oklahoma does not currently send mental health records in to the national database. So a person that has a mental health conviction in this state may be able to pass a NICS check, but would not be able to pass the Department of Mental Health check. Also, certain juvenile infractions might not show up on a NICS check, but would show up when the Department of Juvenile Affairs runs an applicant. The difference is between someone simply owning a gun and carrying it in the general populace. The way current law reads in OK, some things that can prohibit you from obtaining a permit, would not prohibit you from owning a firearm.

As I already said, it should be easier or at least quicker to get a permit (or not have one at all).

Many people who look at law see it as a way to allow people to do things. Instead the law should be read to disallow certain things. Oklahoma law says it is illegal to carry a concealed weapon, then lists an exemption to that...obtaining a permit. Instead of making the permit an exemption, the law regarding carrying a concealed firearm (or at the very least an open handgun) should have been removed from the statute so it would have been legal by default. Since allowing people to carry firearms in public was such a drastic change from what the law was, many people thought we had to make sure "only" law abiding folks would do it. Obviously criminals would comply with this new law and only carry concealed once they received their permit...right?? :scratch: The argument is always made that we have to make sure law abiding citizens are the only ones following the law....this logic makes entirely no sense to me, but to make themselves feel better, lawmakers and those that helped them draft the law back in 1995 decided to put in these hurdles. Maybe it was the only way they thought they would get something like this passed. The sheeple will feel like the government is still looking out for them if the vet law abiding citizens while doing nothing about criminals who will continue to carry concealed illegally. (Although now that I think about it, maybe it was so they could have another charge to bring against the criminal...who knows)

Passing constitutional carry in Oklahoma has its own challenges as it requires a vote of the people to change the State Constitution. Part of our constitution says that the legislature can regulate the carrying of firearms, which is exactly what they have done. The legislature has to pass a ballot initiative and put this on a ballot for the people of Oklahoma to vote on. If it passes, (to remove the ability of the legislature to regulate the carrying of firearms) then the legislature would have to look at the firearm laws and fix them accordingly.

Another problem with Constitutional Carry (in any state) is the Federal Gun Free School Zone Act. This makes it a crime to carry a firearm within 1000 feet of a school....one of the exemptions is having a permit issued by your state as long as that permit included a background check. Unfortunately the permit from your home state does not satisfy the FGFSZA exemption when visiting another state.

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
would be nice if oklahoma allowed constitutional carry for oklahoma residents, considering they allow it for out-of-staters.

Getting it allowed for non-residents was a way to get a foot in the door to make it allowed for residents. There is a bill being held over from this past legislative session to the next one to work on working and gain additional support that would send a ballot initiative to a vote of the people to change the Oklahoma Constitution so this could happen. (See previous post for more information).

Glock

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wonder if a constitutional carry law will still provide privilege for open, concealed, and partial conceal... Or just open carry. Because that would suck to limit to just one method like some states do.

Latest posts

Top Bottom