Recommendations for an unmonitored alarm system?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nemesis

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'd like an alarm system that simply alerts the occupant when theres a breach in the house. My stuff is insured, etc, and I don't want to pay for a service to call the cops, etc.

The house is already wired for a system.

Recommendations?

rhodesbe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There's no requirement that you must have an alarm monitored when installed. You can always buy a professionally installed system and forego the monitoring contract.

However, you can buy a kit like this: http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-Ademco-V20P60PK-Vista-20P-Intrusion/dp/B003HF5KZK and have a go at doing it yourself. However, just be ready to jump in with both feet. Programming alarm panels like this take skill, knowledge, and a good bit of patience.

I would suggest calling a local alarms company and see how much they charge to sell and install you a system with no monitoring contracts attached.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can get an alarm and install it without central monitoring or just get a dialer to call you to let you know if there is a breach. no monthly fee. Are the contacts already installed? How technically minded are you? If you end up with a DSC I can help you program it

cscokd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm interested here too. I have an existing wired panel that will alert me when I'm in the home. I don't want a 3rd party monitoring solution, if I need a cop to write up a justified shooting I'll call it in. ;-) I'd like something that is IP-enabled and can be checked on remotely, can alert me via email or txt when there is an event, and might even integrate with one of the camera systems out there to allow me to remotely look-in via an app or just HTML.

Sadly, the home security market doesn't seem to be keeping up with technology in general, so I'm probably asking for too much.

rhodesbe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm interested here too. I have an existing wired panel that will alert me when I'm in the home. I don't want a 3rd party monitoring solution, if I need a cop to write up a justified shooting I'll call it in. ;-) I'd like something that is IP-enabled and can be checked on remotely, can alert me via email or txt when there is an event, and might even integrate with one of the camera systems out there to allow me to remotely look-in via an app or just HTML.

Sadly, the home security market doesn't seem to be keeping up with technology in general, so I'm probably asking for too much.

Unfortunately, some of the remote accessibility features you talk about really are only available as 'backend' services that mean you have to sign a contract.

However, the good news is that home security system design is going through a bit of a renaissance right now. Check out 2GIG Go! and Honeywell's Lynx 5100 Touch panels. Even though those panels are 'commercial' products, the ambitious DIY-er can easily buy them on the internet and get support from a number of forums out there.

Both the panels I linked are Z-Wave controllers for a multitude of 'home automation' and 'home security' products like lights, thermostats, and door locks. The remote camera bit is a little more difficult to achieve through the panel without buying a contracted service. (ie Honeywell's 'Total Connect') However, getting remote visibility of cameras configured as a standalone system (not integrated into the alarm panel) is pretty easy and inexpensive to accomplish, and getting cheaper every day.

Some of the professional nstallers on the forum, like Tyromeo55 and Keelty (I think) are really the best type of guys to speak with. Even if you're not a dummy, having a trained professional help you install and configure this stuff is invaluable.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Radio Shack use to sell a low cost auto dialer that could be hooked up to almost any existing alarm system...that would call any number you imputed into it. My father was the Superintendent of a City utility. He had one in his building that would call both him and the police dept with a automated message that a intrusion had been detected.

Latest posts

Top Bottom