1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Recommendations on classes and where?

Discussion in 'Firearm Training' started by Absster, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Absster

Absster Marksman

Thank you for the recommendations. I'll look into all 3.

Hawkman, thanks for all the specific info. I'll read it over again tomorrow when I'm more awake! I feel like all this will put me on a good path!

2. Absster

Absster Marksman

Is "dry firing" okay for the gun? For some reason, I thought I remember someone saying a long time ago that it was bad. Depends on the type? Is this where the caps come into play?

3. rawhide

rawhide Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Dry firing is okay in most modern firearms. What gun are you wanting to dry fire? Avoid dry firing rimfires like .22s. If in doubt snap caps are your friend.

4. Mad Professor

Mad Professor Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    The biggest worry I would have about you dry firing right now is reinforcing the wrong thing. We dry fire to build muscle memory, isolate movement, work on target and position transitions, follow through sight pictures, on and on. If your technique is correct, it awesome. If you technique is incorrect, you created a bad habit. It is easier to build a great movement or technique than it is to fix one that has been reinforced by bad habit or training. Be careful!
    Get some formal training before doing so.

The advice above to take a private lesson or two for an introduction is great. However, choose the instructor carefully. Look for some real training credentials. Do most purposes, I’ll give a NRA pistol instructor cert 0 points, military or law enforcement instructor, 0 points. That is, if that is the only instructor certification the have had. Look for addition instructor training and qualifications geared toward civilian self protection.

Will Andrews puts on a very good set of classes. Going through one is not enough, repeat it at least one more time and then start evaluating your ability.

Hawkman likes this.
  5. Fyrtwuck

Fyrtwuck Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%