Red Dot on a HD Shotgun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As a lot of ya'll know I have been fortunate enough to purchase what I consider my ultimate home defensive shotgun. It comes with ghost rings sights which I pick up really well but it also has a picatinny rail installed. Does a person really need to mount a red dot on it for what I'm going to be using this firearm for? Is that overkill or is that something that will help give me an advantage if the need arises? As always all opinions are welcome whichever way they fall.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Practice at close, "normal" SD ranges as in feet or a few yards with both eyes open. No optics, no sights, look at your target and pull the trigger and practice until raising, shouldering, acquiring specific point on the target become second nature. The only feature I want on my SD shotgun is a safety, and everyone in my family can then just grab it, shoulder it, look at center mass with both eyes open and pull the trigger. Keep it simple.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a reflex sight on my FN TPS. Unless you have a tritium ghost ring for use in the dark, or a laser. Laser I think can assist an assailant in localizing you or giving away your position. I don't know, I'm not a home defense expert, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn last night - Express or otherwise.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Auto-on?

I have an Aimpoint Micro T1 on another gun. I pondered such a thing and considered the battery issue. According to the manual, the battery is good for something like 50,000 hours at setting 8 (there are 12).

A year is 8,760 hours.

Change it with every Presidential election* and you'd still only have used half it's charge, and it uses a standard CR2032 coin cell, so it won't break the bank. Just leave the thing on and go with it.

* And if one or more of the candidates in any given election doesn't make you think about shooting someone, you're a better man than I am, Gunga Din.

Plene Paratus

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I run an Aimpoint T1 on my 1301T and love it. My work shotgun has ghost rings, and I am significantly slower with it, or other shotguns with beads. In fairness, I'm not what I consider a shotgun guy, but I do shoot and train with them regularly.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a lot of ya'll know I have been fortunate enough to purchase what I consider my ultimate home defensive shotgun. It comes with ghost rings sights which I pick up really well but it also has a picatinny rail installed. Does a person really need to mount a red dot on it for what I'm going to be using this firearm for? Is that overkill or is that something that will help give me an advantage if the need arises? As always all opinions are welcome whichever way they fall.

Nope ya don't a need dot, the ghost ring sight on mine proves sufficient for it's use.. Couple that with 00 buck 9 pellets the size of a pea and it sure makes a mess out of a milk jug.. It also brings a smile taking down small cedar trees..