Red Dot on a HD Shotgun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Vortex viper, vortex venom, burris FF3, Sig romeo 1, sig romeo 3, Cmore RTS2, Leopold DPP, trijicon RMR.
Those are going to be the best setups you'll find.
If you don't work well with any of those, then iron sights are your friend.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
People wanna say you shouldnt even have a safety on a HD gun (Glock, etc) but you want the bad guy to give you time to sling up? That's a no for me.

I'd be more concerned about the whole doorknob thing, or just having that sling hanging down there, than I would be about the time factor. If I have to crawl out of the rack and grab a shotgun, be it bedside or closeted, I think I'd have plenty of time to slip my arm through it, if I wanted to. It's just not necessary and it may be a liability on a HD shotgun IMO. Now, you people reading this, if you wanna put a sling on your HD shotgun, by all means, go ahead and do so. I don't think anyone will think you are a doofus or anything if you do.

Maybe.

Plene Paratus

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
People wanna say you shouldnt even have a safety on a HD gun (Glock, etc) but you want the bad guy to give you time to sling up? That's a no for me.

I don't think anyone proposes that you sling up, if you are actively in a gunfight. For a bump in the night, "slinging up" is easily done as you take your first step. To each their own, but so far, the two arguments I have heard against slings aren't grounded in reality, in my experience.

I also don't know of anyone with a clue that says "you shouldn't have a safety." I know plenty of people that use the lack of a safety selector as a positive (which theoretically, it might be). I also know several guys who use the presence of a safety selector as a positive (again, theoretically, it might be). But I know of none of them who state unequivocally that having a safety selector (or not) is gonna get someone with a modicum of training killed in a HD situation.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think anyone proposes that you sling up, if you are actively in a gunfight. For a bump in the night, "slinging up" is easily done as you take your first step. To each their own, but so far, the two arguments I have heard against slings aren't grounded in reality, in my experience.

I also don't know of anyone with a clue that says "you shouldn't have a safety." I know plenty of people that use the lack of a safety selector as a positive (which theoretically, it might be). I also know several guys who use the presence of a safety selector as a positive (again, theoretically, it might be). But I know of none of them who state unequivocally that having a safety selector (or not) is gonna get someone with a modicum of training killed in a HD situation.[/QUOTE.

Aw...Never mind, wear a sling if you want. For me; I prefer not to have a sling on a HD defense shotgun. And that is based on both training and the reality of my personal experience.

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Vortex viper, vortex venom, burris FF3, Sig romeo 1, sig romeo 3, Cmore RTS2, Leopold DPP, trijicon RMR.
Those are going to be the best setups you'll find.
If you don't work well with any of those, then iron sights are your friend.
Those are some great options. The Burris FF3 is on sale for $199.99 with the protective high mount at Natchez. Your right though, I may just have to stick with what's already on it but I was just seeing if it would be an improvement in my case.
[EDIT] Today at Natchez Burris FF3 with protective mount $179.99 with code PO181217

Last edited:

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your intended purpose I would think the ghost ring would be best.. Not a shotty but I put a tube rd on my new MK IV and pulled it off due to the time to acquire, an open reflex would be better but its not on my list of must haves.. Different on a long gun yes, BUT what "IF" it fails when ya need it, is it going to obstruct.. Of course being a scatter gun it may not make any difference.. just a thought..

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
The Bushnell TRS 25 feels natural when pulling up to the shoulder for me and my son. Dot lines up well with zero search its just there. Will update as soon as I get it to the range, going Saturday with a friend that just bought a SW500 for when he goes hunting Godzilla!!
And I can't figure out if I am more excited about sighting in the shotty or shooting my friends beast LOL

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
So Saturday we shot the SW500 and a couple other pistols and never got around to the shotty so I went this morning and zeroed the shotty with the TRS25 and at this point the rifle is zeroed at 50 yards with a 3 round 1.75inch group. I like the sight and the shotgun kicks like a mule so will have to go back another day to zero a little further out!! By the way the cheapest sabots I could find , federal power shok, which sell for $8.40 a box of 5 from Cabelas, were the best accuracy in this gun. Found some even cheaper on gunbroker at $6.40 a box, time to stock up. Don't see me shooting this thing enough to warrant reloading.
The sight is great as far as function and comfort of use, lines up naturally and indoors the 1 setting was plenty bright.