Red wasp suck

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
My house is ground zero for them suckers.

When we moved in I killed hundreds, literally, out of multiple nests around the house.

I'm still finding and eliminating nests.

Devilsbcoach

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Their stings hurt me, but not as bad as they hurt my brother. He got stung on the eyebrow a couple of years ago, and for about a week and a half he looked like he had gone a few rounds with Mike Tyson. It wasn't so funny then, but I sure get a good laugh every time I look at that picture now.

Capm_Spaulding

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A red wasp and I played a little game of tag yesterday when I was mowing. It never stung me, but it hovered around me the entire 3 hours, going from the furthest corners of the front yard, to the back yard and even in the garage. I looked pretty silly pushing the mower with a can of wasp spray in my waist band.... but I felt ever so slightly less nervous.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to think that about the reds and yellows..
It is a case of keeping a big mean dog tied up and never subject that dog to anyone except the wife and kids and husband.
that dog will be a danger to anyone who comes near.\

I had 3 years where a red wasp built a nest right in the door way of my shed..I have a short door 6'-4" tall
I have to almost duck...
Now the reds were fine with me going in and out and looking for car parts..just like my yellow jackets are fine with me.

Then 2 weeks pass and i have not been in my shed..I open the door..wasp nest got way bigger have more wasps on it.
Some newbies that do not know me...CRAAAPPPPPP!
I only say crap because i did not think of newbies until i was bent over removing valve springs from a cylinder head..
i needed the retainers....
WOW at least 10 wasp are surrounding and flying around me.. i stand up and look towards the nest and hold out my arm and point my finger at the nest and start talking to MISS WASPIE.. that is what i call her..

Miss Waspie if you do not call off your cronies and one stings me you all will die.. i turn back around and finish my task..
They all went back onto the nest..

This leads me to believe either they send out a smell or they talk really low or really high...
Some measuring instruments to test this theory would be awesome..
How do wasps communicate.

My buddy has had a huge nest within inches of a space he always went in..they got used to people also. these were also reds..

Rabbitcreekok

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Earlier this summer, a gentleman in my water district was stung by a wasp. He knew he was allergic but did not have his epi pen with him. He died before he could get back to the house and the pen.

Those of you that have had serious reactions really need to see a doctor and have access to the pens. Allergic reactions are strange. You can eat some food all your life and one day you have an allergic reaction to that same food.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On a related tangent, I went to the Epi Pen company's web site and saw a video demonstrating the use of the pen. I couldn't hear the video, but I assume there's a needle hidden behind the orange cone on the tip of the pen, and when you jam the pen against your thigh, the cone shifts and the needle is driven into your flesh? The video showed a woman doing that through her jeans; it made me wonder about the possibility of driving foreign bodies like a piece of denim, or some dirt, into your body along with the dosage. It certainly isn't like swabbing your bare flesh with an antiseptic, then doing the injection.

Latest posts

Top Bottom