Reloading 223 ammo specs. looking for advice.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert871

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I am looking to start reloading in the next month or two, in fact i will be placing an order with powder valley here next week, and also ordering a challanger breech lock lee press kit, and some other equipment. I am only going to start off loading 223, but having no prior experience, i am not certain what powder try first. I will be using winchester small rifle primers, and cannuler fmj boat tail 55 gain .224 rounds, and probably some hornady v-max and zombie also in 55grain.

obviously my focus is price, i want to shoot more for my money by spending less per round than i would ordering factory, but i still would like to know i am getting factory specs or better, and that the stuff i am reloading wont shoot much more dirty than the stuff i shoot now. ( this is what i shoot now typically http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/66948-1.html )

I have been looking at different data, i took the data listed below from some website, but i have since found that i can pull up the powder manufacturers load recommendations and data pretty easily or at least so far i have been able to. I will be purchasing a loading manual, and naturally will not exceed the max loads listed. I would like some of our members who reload 223 regularly to offer up some advice on what powders to try and what to avoid. like, if a powder does not meter well in the cheaper lee powder measures, or if it burns much more dirty than others; i would like to know to steer clear of it. but also if you have a powder you swear by, let me know what it is so i can look into it before i place my order next tuesday.

so here is the data i looked at for powders:

ACCURATE XMR-2015 24.0 gr yields 3240fps comment says "the powder is clean burning"
Hodgdon H322 24.0 gr yields 3203fps
ALLIANT RELODER 7 22.0 gr yields 3200 fps comment says "assumes 22grains for 3200fps, assumption based on 20.6gr for 3170 fps"

i would particularly be interested in comments about the powders that powder valley carries, as i will be placing my initial order with them.
powder valley carries the following powders:
Accurate Arms
Alliant
Hodgdon
IMR
Norma
Ramshot
Vihta Vuori
Winchester

Last edited:

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can't speak for the powders you listed. I use H-335 and a 55 grain bullet.

Yes, .224 is the correct bullet diameter. The best advice I can give is to do your research and don't exceed the loads listed in the manuals.

Also check Wideners for supplies. They have some good deals once in a while.

Last edited:

BadKarma

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had good luck with Benchmark powder in my Ar 15's shooting
55 grain bullets. I have not chronographed them but they are accurate
in all of my AR's. Good luck.

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lucky for you .223 is a really easy caliber to load. Virtually any powder listed will get you a working velocity and accuracy. AA2230, Varget, BLC2, TAC, H332, H335, Benchmark, are all great. Here is a good link. http://www.6mmbr.com/223rem.html

Throw the clean burning idea out the window and stick with price+accuracy. Worrying about clean burning powders is something for bolt action shooters. AR's are filthy animals.. they poop where they sleep. And then they wallow around in it. Just clean your gun before it stops working.

Once you fully delve into the world of handloading you'll realize that caliber name is just a marketing ploy and nothing more. Virtually no caliber name matches the actual diameter. A good example is the 38's. Nothing named 38 actually even measures close to .380 (38SC, 38S&W, 38LC, 38 spl, 38acp, 38 super, 380acp, etc)

mspaeth53

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an ar15 with a 16" bull barrel and have tried many powders and bullets. What I have found is my gun likes the cheap 55gr dog town bullets from Midway and 23.5 grs of TAC powder. I can put 5 rounds under a quarted at 100yds. I am also using the Lee Brech Lock Press. Its a good press for the money.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like Accurate 2230, Varget and H335 pretty well. I have loaded 204 Ruger with AA2015 and AA2230 with good results. I shoot both bolt guns and semi autos in 223 and don't do much differently unless I'm loading the hand made bullets for the bolt gun. Then it's just a question of much closer tolerances and weighed charges for the bench. Blitzfike

Bevenue

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If your sticking around the 55gr bullets. I would start with H335. Meters great and lots of info for it.

Unless you just want the red tips of the Vmax, the Zmax "Zombie" is the same but cheaper.

Latest posts

Top Bottom