Reloading 223 ammo specs. looking for advice.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert871

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
okay, I did it; I decided to take the first bite today.

I ordered 8 pounds of H335, 500 rounds of 40gr zmax 500 rounds of 55gr zmax, 1000 rounds of 55gr winchester fmj/c/bt, and 2000 cci 400 primers from powder valley; will pick it up at the gun show.
Then I went over to FS reloading and ordered the challenger single stage press kit, 223 dies, decapper, factory crimp die, lee reloading 2nd edition.
Finally I topped it off by picking up a digital scale, a caliper, a frankland armory tumbler and shaker, and some walnut media.

by the first of the month, I shall be reloading.

thanks guys.

C

cencrunner

Actually you will be reloading for quite awhile with all that. I would add that you might need to watch out for crimped primers if using military brass. Also check out case length after sizing. Good luck, sounds like you are going to have fun.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Awesome Robert!

If you didn't get one, Dongs does sell the Lee press kits that come with predrilled wood, bolts and a nice little metal thing-a-ma-bobber to hold it in to make a quick mount. Makes for a nice little setup if you aren't going to permanently mount it (or even if you are they have the bolt and wood kit too).

Or just give me a shout and I'll help you drill and cut some too if you want/need help.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Sounds like you're hooked:) Be cautious of some of the loads you may see on some of the reloading boards. Some of them are extreme, double and triple check them with other sources if a load sounds to good to be true, they usually are.

Robert871

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
thanks, i will be sure to only load published specifications for a long time.

I will also be sure to talk to you doug, if i need any help.

I should be getting my equipment shipments monday and tuesday. so i will be preping brass, and then finally after he gun show my first reloads.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Get used to spending lots of time at the bench.
I'm in the process of loading 6000 rounds of . 223. The majority having a military crimp, so that adds an extra step to the process. About three hours a night for a week, and I'm just now getting ready to run them through the progressive loader.
That should last a year or two though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom