Reloading 223 ammo specs. looking for advice.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

dwbammo

If you are looking to get more for your money then any kind of Hornady bullets arent the way to go. You can get pulldown bullets from midwayusa.com, topbrass-inc.com and other good sites.

The two best powders I've used are AR Comp and CFE 223. The CFE Is the cleanest powder available in my opinion and you can use it all the way up to 300 win mag so it is a very versitale powder. The AR Comp isn't as versatile but it is also a very clean powder.

I use 24.5-25gr of AR Comp in Winchester Brass, Winchester SRP, and Sierra MatchKing or GameKing bullets. Like I was saying, the pulldown bullets are good if you just want to go out to the range and have some fun.

With the CFE 223 there is a lot of different load data available for it and a lot of different guns like different variants of it. Ive found it works best for me with a Federal SRP and Nosler 62gr BTHP.

Reloading is a great hobby and if you want to make money at it you can def do that to. I reload for a living and have been supporting myself and my family for a good while doing it. You always have new stuff to learn so it never gets boring. You will absolutley want to upgrade from the Lee as soon as you have the funds to do it. They are ok for when you first start out but they have a horrible setup and are just cheap made. I think everyone reloading should have a Dillon Blue Press, or Redding. Dillon comes with a no B.S. lifetime warranty and they also make the BEST dies available. If you ever have any questions I will def help you with whatever I can and I know a lot of other members on here will too. Good luck in your new adventure.

Robert871

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I got up early today and cranked out 100 rounds.

I also went to the range saturday with a couple friends. It was raining and I failed to talk one of my friends into leaving the comfort of the canopy covered shooting benchs to go put up some paper targets, so i just plinked my first 20 reloads on the steel to try em out. They shot great, functioned normally, I could not tell any difference from any other round i have shot. Kept em separate so now i am starting to note which of my two guns i shot what brass from, so now i can start neck sizing instead of full length sizing them.

So here are some photos of the initial 20 before i shot em saturday.
i1109.photobucket.com_albums_h428_okwrk871_DSCN0354.jpg

i1109.photobucket.com_albums_h428_okwrk871_DSCN0350.jpg

i1109.photobucket.com_albums_h428_okwrk871_DSCN0353.jpg

i1109.photobucket.com_albums_h428_okwrk871_DSCN0352.jpg

i1109.photobucket.com_albums_h428_okwrk871_DSCN0351.jpg

I thought about taking photos of the equipment i used to make em and the shells from each point of the process, both to help show any new comers who may be interested in reloading, what its like, but also to get your opinions as to if i am doing something wrong, but i just never took the photos...

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got up early today and cranked out 100 rounds.

I also went to the range saturday with a couple friends. It was raining and I failed to talk one of my friends into leaving the comfort of the canopy covered shooting benchs to go put up some paper targets, so i just plinked my first 20 reloads on the steel to try em out. They shot great, functioned normally, I could not tell any difference from any other round i have shot. Kept em separate so now i am starting to note which of my two guns i shot what brass from, so now i can start neck sizing instead of full length sizing them.

So here are some photos of the initial 20 before i shot em saturday.

I thought about taking photos of the equipment i used to make em and the shells from each point of the process, both to help show any new comers who may be interested in reloading, what its like, but also to get your opinions as to if i am doing something wrong, but i just never took the photos...

You're hooked now Robert!

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In case you don't already have one, I recommend getting a case gauge to verify that your dies are set properly after resizing the brass. Also, I don't have much luck with neck sizing only in semi autos even keeping it with the same rifle. Pretty quickly in my experience the brass expands enough to create feed problems. Just a small amount of fouling in the chamber with a neck sized case results in feed problems with my experience. Here is a link to the type case gauge I'm referring to.
http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/25547/catid/3/Dillon_Rifle_Case_Gages

Your ammo is looking good.. Blitzfike

Street Rat

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I believe H335 is to be used with magnum primers, but this may be the best method when shooting in below freezing temperatures. Has anyone else used regular (non-magnum) primers with H335 successfuly? The reason I ask is I have some H335 and CCI41 and Winchester small rifle primers I planned on using until I came accross the info I mentioned.

Latest posts

Top Bottom