reloading advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

candrpotts

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
looking into getting a progressive reloading set up. Nothing real fancy, just enough to keep us in target loads and avoid the rest of this ammo shortage.

I need opinions on presses. Favored brands, what to avoid, what to make I include, that sort of thing. Done a little research but "everyone" has the best outfit at the best price. I could use a little real world experience to help me sort through the hype.

Thanks

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
For starting, a good turret press is what I would recommend. The Lee presses are cheaper, but not as well made as the Dillon progressives.

If you have no experience, I don't recommend starting on a progressive, as they are aimed at chunking out lots of ammo fast, and you need to start out slowly at first. Learn good habits, like regularly checking powder, primers, watching each case closely, etc. The turret is quick, just not so fast that you can't watch what's going on.

What calibers are you planning on reloading?

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Several here have or had them, but I haven't. I have a 550, and the Lee turret, the Dillon, as I said, is way better. And if you know you want to be in reloading, go for it, but it is more expensive.

I'm not necessarily recommending the Lee, just stating one scenario that shows how fast a cheaper press can pay for itself.

If you shoot 1000 rounds a year, the Lee might be all you'd ever need. If you'll shoot 1000 rounds every month or two, by all means start on a Dillon, just taking care to learn the basics as you go instead of trying to crank as many out as possible initially.

The Dillon I just bought is 20 years old, and works great. I can't tell anything on it that works less than 100%.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Square Deal is a great reloader. It's limited to pistol calibers ONLY. The reloading dies while adjustable are specific to the Square Deal. You can't use them on anything but a Square Deal. I reloaded with mine for several years feeding two hungry submachineguns. It was great with no problems at all. I later decided I wanted to load rifle calibers too and got a 650.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
The anniversary is a single stage right? Never hurts to have a single stage around.

Don't know if it's the same model or not, but I have a Lee single stage that gets used frequently for rifle calibers.

Latest posts

Top Bottom