Repurposing Cox home life cameras

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Didn't see this thread til now, yes I was working yesterday. The camera's we use have specialized firmware so they only work with our and comcast's system. I have no idea if you can find a bootleg firmware to open them up. If you're ditching the alarm system I would just put all the equipment up on craigslist or ebay. If the installer did their job right and ran cat5 to each camera any IP based camera would work as the connection is the standard cat5 connection.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Check out Wyze.com
20 bux for a 1080p camera. Free software.

Great cams. We have 4 at the house and two at a relatives house in Broken Arrow we monitor.
Just recently bought their smart bulbs putting them in different rooms throughout the house on vacation mode so they randomly turn off and on when nobody is there.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I found this today . I may give this a try and if i can't figure it out, I'll just sell them . I am not overly impressed with these cameras or the alarm itself in the first place but thought they may work for around the house .

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great cams. We have 4 at the house and two at a relatives house in Broken Arrow we monitor.
Just recently bought their smart bulbs putting them in different rooms throughout the house on vacation mode so they randomly turn off and on when nobody is there.

I assume you can check them on your phone with an app?

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I found this today . I may give this a try and if i can't figure it out, I'll just sell them . I am not overly impressed with these cameras or the alarm itself in the first place but thought they may work for around the house .

Its my weekend, so I'll grab a camera from my van and test it for you, that way if something gets buggered up you won't be out a camera. I'll report back here with what I find.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, after grabbing a fresh camera I found that the commands in the video works. I haven't tried it on a camera that has been connected to our system, but if you default the camera (hold the button on the back for 30 seconds) it will revert to the default firmware.

In order to gain access you have to do this command first:

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/adm/enable_ui.cgi (the xxx's are the camera's ip address. You should be able to look at your router's config and see the attached devices to get the ip address of the camera)

It will ask for the username/password which is administrator/<leave password blank>

After that I was able to type in the ip address and get the admin screen. Come to find out these camera's have microphones! Did not know that. I would be helpful if Cox used those.... Also, to use the /img/main.cgi?next_file=main.htm command you have to have quicktime on your computer.

But yeah, it works. Which means you might be able to change some settings in it and use them with other systems.

Latest posts

Top Bottom