Repurposing Cox home life cameras

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, after grabbing a fresh camera I found that the commands in the video works. I haven't tried it on a camera that has been connected to our system, but if you default the camera (hold the button on the back for 30 seconds) it will revert to the default firmware.

In order to gain access you have to do this command first:

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/adm/enable_ui.cgi (the xxx's are the camera's ip address. You should be able to look at your router's config and see the attached devices to get the ip address of the camera)

It will ask for the username/password which is administrator/<leave password blank>

After that I was able to type in the ip address and get the admin screen. Come to find out these camera's have microphones! Did not know that. I would be helpful if Cox used those.... Also, to use the /img/main.cgi?next_file=main.htm command you have to have quicktime on your computer.

But yeah, it works. Which means you might be able to change some settings in it and use them with other systems.
Usually mics take up too much hard drive space. That is why they are usually turned off.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, after grabbing a fresh camera I found that the commands in the video works. I haven't tried it on a camera that has been connected to our system, but if you default the camera (hold the button on the back for 30 seconds) it will revert to the default firmware.

In order to gain access you have to do this command first:

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/adm/enable_ui.cgi (the xxx's are the camera's ip address. You should be able to look at your router's config and see the attached devices to get the ip address of the camera)

It will ask for the username/password which is administrator/<leave password blank>

After that I was able to type in the ip address and get the admin screen. Come to find out these camera's have microphones! Did not know that. I would be helpful if Cox used those.... Also, to use the /img/main.cgi?next_file=main.htm command you have to have quicktime on your computer.

But yeah, it works. Which means you might be able to change some settings in it and use them with other systems.

Dude. Thank you!!!

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dude. Thank you!!!

No problemo. Was an educating experience for me as well.

Usually mics take up too much hard drive space. That is why they are usually turned off.

I don't think it would take up that much space, but I'm not paying the storage bill for all the cameras on cox home security/home automation either. Just would like to have audio for security reasons.

PJM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We are ditching cox alarm service when our contract is up . We have three cameras that came with it when we had it installed. Once we ditch, them it seems like we won't be able to use them. Has anyone else stopped using Cox and been able to repurpose them? I'd like to just find an app that will recognize them so we can view on our phones like we do with Cox. They are the Icamera2 model . I believe they are IP cameras bit no idea what that means .
TARGET PRACTICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
If they are outdoor and in plain site. If your not going to replace them I would at least leave them installed and powered up if possible as a deterrent.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If they are outdoor and in plain site. If your not going to replace them I would at least leave them installed and powered up if possible as a deterrent.

That doesn't really work anymore. Look how many people are willing to steal packages off porches even with ring doorbells. People will provide video evidence to the police and it usually goes nowhere.

Latest posts

Top Bottom