Research undermines medical marijuana claims

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thats all complete lies. The CO DPS stats show just the opposite.

+1 and (since your a traffic guy and I'm and auto claims guy...) I will add: the fatality crashes have gone up in CO sure, but... so has both the population AND the total miles traveled on CO roads. So we'd expect fatal collisions to rise, absolutely. If you extrapolate the rate of crash fatalities per capita OR per miles traveled OR over miles traveled per capita, I'd bet it ends up pretty damn flat (though I didn't whip out Excel and enter any data).

Attributing any increase/decrease of fatal crashes on marijuana through such methods as noted in the article is just grasping at straws to promote some narrative.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
+1 and (since your a traffic guy and I'm and auto claims guy...) I will add: the fatality crashes have gone up in CO sure, but... so has both the population AND the total miles traveled on CO roads. So we'd expect fatal collisions to rise, absolutely. If you extrapolate the rate of crash fatalities per capita OR per miles traveled OR over miles traveled per capita, I'd bet it ends up pretty damn flat (though I didn't whip out Excel and enter any data).

Attributing any increase/decrease of fatal crashes on marijuana through such methods as noted in the article is just grasping at straws to promote some narrative.

it's almost like facts and numbers are somehow more reliable indicators than hyperbole and fear mongering

Subsonic

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Unless blood work was collected and confirmed or denied the presence of THC or alcohol. Not sure if it is factored into those stats but it would be useful info.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unless blood work was collected and confirmed or denied the presence of THC or alcohol. Not sure if it is factored into those stats but it would be useful info.

Right but even if the toxicology is tracked and the marijuana related incidences increased, we'd expect them to. Fatalities increased, population increased, miles traveled increased. The largest indicating variable to traffic fatalities these days is miles traveled and that increased for the State (and nation TBH). More miles, more time in a car, more exposure to accidents and more fatalities - quite likely both marijuana related or otherwise.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not advocating any sort of impairment while driving a motor vehicle, but I'll guarantee you that I would much rather see a person stoned on pot coming towards me on a highway than someone drunk.

Haha! That's because they will be coasting along a about 3 miles an hour and you will have plenty of time to get out of the way. :blush::hey3:

Rooster1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Exclusive: Traffic fatalities linked to marijuana are ... - The Denver Post
https://www.denverpost.com/2017/08/25/colorado-marijuana-traffic-fatalities/
Aug 25, 2017 - The number of drivers involved in fatal crashes in Colorado testing positive formarijuana use has risen sharply every year since 2013, more ...

As Colorado auto deaths involving marijuana rise, CDOT is asking ...
https://www.denverpost.com/2018/03/25/colorado-auto-deaths-marijuana-use/
Mar 25, 2018 - The number of marijuana-related automobile fatalities in Colorado, as measured by the drug's chief psychoactive ingredient, hit 77 in 2016, the ...

Pot-Related Driving Deaths Rose After Colorado Legalized Marijuana
https://www.menshealth.com/health/a19538240/marijuana-and-traffic-deaths-colorado/
Oct 12, 2017 - Since Colorado legalized marijuana in 2013, the number of crashes that ... pot-relateddriving deaths have spiked in Colorado since the state ...
You realize people can test dirty for pot and not be impaired in any way?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Ok, you just said you can't prove that traffic fatalities and accidents do happen in your job as a claims person in my bolded part, But, you would bet......how about produce some actual facts. It should be pretty simple in your profession.

filbert

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First off, amphetamines are not a schedule I drug. They are legally prescribed for many afflictions. Any drug listed as a Schedule I can NOT be used for any research as a drug. This is the very definition of a Schedule I. Second, there are some uses for cannabis that uses both the THC and the CBD. While they are not able to research cannabis as a drug to treat sickness, they have done research on its properties and have found there "could" be uses in the medical field but the DOJ refuses to reclassify it for this research.

And those that are voting no because its a scary drug, this same mentality is used by the anti-gunners against semi-auto rifles. Cannabis is less harmful that alcohol, non-addicting (chemically at least), and the only negative impact it has on society is due to its illegal status. Unlike alcohol, people who are under the influence of cannabis are much less likely to be violent, drive much slower, and cause less problems than drunk people. So if you voting no, you are doing society a major disfavor.
Very well said, thanks for the common sense!

Latest posts

Top Bottom