Respooling reels.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

white92coupe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anybody use any reel/line lube or conditioner? I'm going to respool my reel in the next day or two and was curious if this is something worth while or not. I have never used it before that I can remember with my dad.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't use anything on the line itself. I clean and lube the gears in my reels regularly. I also change line more frequently than some. I try and keep my line/reels out of direct sunlight as much as possible. The UV rays can harm monofilament.

jej

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you mean on mono or braid, never done it.

If you mean on fly line, I use something on floating line when I think of it.

jej

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They make some stuff that you can spray on old line to make it limp again. It costs about the same as new line. My cousin swears by it, but I just buy line in 1000yd spools and keep it changed out.

I do it by myself, as my wife isn't as cooperative as Dustins. Guess I've yelled at her too many times:D:D
Lay the new line spool on the ground with the label up, and spool it on. Give it some slack on occasion to see if it getting twisted, and turn the line spool over and keep after it.

Sniper John

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think I know what your asking about. I have used reel magic for years on my spinning reel lines. Helps keep the line soft and with less memory. Less tangles. Currently I'm using Kevin VanDam's line conditioner and I think it works even better than the old reel magic so I will probably stick with that. It it definately works IMHO, especially with flourocarbon lines. The VanDam stuff is a blend of polymers and completely different than Reel Majic which is about the same as WD40 I think. WD40 was used as a line conditioner before either of those came about. It does not use much to treat your line, so one bottle lasts me through many line changes. Nor do I use it very often. New line, Old line early in the season before I have changed it out. Before leaving to fish on a cold day, etc.

Teeeroy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've always been paranoid that spraying any kind of chemical on your line would introduce an unwanted scent, but that's probably not really a concern, since lots of people use line conditioner. I just keep my line changed often and it doesn't retain a lot of memory.

I can see how it would be useful for flourocarbon, though. I hate the way that stuff handles. I'd probably use it if it fished like mono.

Latest posts

Top Bottom