Return of the pigs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got a phone call from the rancher yesterday afternoon saying that the pigs were back across the river. He asked if I would mind setting out the new trap and gather them before they did too much damage. As if he had to ask... Now that deer season is over, it is time to hammer on some pigs for a while! Really excited about the new combination trap/catch pen too. This will help out a lot I think. I can leave live pigs in it for bait, not have to shed any blood in the trap area, and be able to easily load the pigs in the gooseneck to haul to sell.

Got the trap set up yesterday evening, wired doors open, and baited it. Will continue to run it for 5 or 6 days with the doors open. Going to set up my game cam and see what kind of numbers we are talking about. So far they have rooted up every cow pile in about a 30 acre patch, not sure how many or how big. We'll see what happens.

dcmtex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good luck. While they do alot of damage I do like to hunt and trap those things. I would like to see a pic of the new trap and catch pen. I think its time to update or at least add to our traps at the ranch.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, I kinda like them myself. I get more into trapping them than I do hunting them. Hunting them just scatters them and makes them go to the neighbor's property, but by trapping we can pretty much clear the whole herd if done right.

dcmtex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thats been my experience as well. We have the traps in tight to the feeders and keep them locked open until we are down there. Once shots are fired though they move out for a while. We have pretty much gone to archery only when around the feeder sites. This doesn't seem to affect them as much.
While we don't kill deer around these sites they do pull the hogs in and keep them around. Fun for the grandkids to get to see wildlife.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If someone traps a few young ones, I'd love to have a few for the rotisserie. :thumbup3:

Just a note to consider.
The Osage GW told me that he had tried to fatten up some small ones after they had been trapped. He put them on the feed, and said for every pound they put on, they put on a pound of fat or more. It wasn't worth it to try and fatten up a trapped hog.:anyone:

FAL guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just a note to consider.
The Osage GW told me that he had tried to fatten up some small ones after they had been trapped. He put them on the feed, and said for every pound they put on, they put on a pound of fat or more. It wasn't worth it to try and fatten up a trapped hog.:anyone:

No big deal. Pork Fat rules!!!

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here you go dcmtex, this is the newest trap in the arsenal. First run I'll trap on both sides, but once pigs are in one or both sides, just going to dedicate one side as the catch pen while the other side traps. Guillotine door in between will allow us to transfer from one side to the other. The trigger is always the hardest thing to figure out on a trap, and this one is no different. I won't even go into all the details on it, but I am anxious to see how well it works. Pigs came in the first night we had it set up and ate all the corn on the outside, but didn't come on in, which is understandable. I'm sure we left plenty of scent around while we were setting it up. Rain came in last night and should wash it all away. Looking forward to setting it maybe by Thursday or so of next week.

[Broken External Image]

dcmtex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here you go dcmtex, this is the newest trap in the arsenal. First run I'll trap on both sides, but once pigs are in one or both sides, just going to dedicate one side as the catch pen while the other side traps. Guillotine door in between will allow us to transfer from one side to the other. The trigger is always the hardest thing to figure out on a trap, and this one is no different. I won't even go into all the details on it, but I am anxious to see how well it works. Pigs came in the first night we had it set up and ate all the corn on the outside, but didn't come on in, which is understandable. I'm sure we left plenty of scent around while we were setting it up. Rain came in last night and should wash it all away. Looking forward to setting it maybe by Thursday or so of next week.

[Broken External Image]

Thats an awesome looking setup. Can't wait to see how it works for you. Merry Christmas!!!!

Txhunter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have had good luck building them like this.

ai556.photobucket.com_albums_ss8_gtbeard_pin.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom