Revolver accuracy tricks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iceman755

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When reloading for wheelies what are some tips for consistent grouping? I know you need consistent crimp an equal powder charge is there any powders out there that do better than others accuracy wise? I'm going to be loading my 22 jet and 357 max

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
:ooh2:
Both of those are top strap cutting, forcing cone/barrel burning muthas. All I can do is wish you luck. You're bound to find loads that will be good for awhile, after that not much anything will be.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like HP38 for plinking loads in my 357 mag
I load lead bullets that i cast myself and tumble lube with Lee liquid alox. LLA
Now i have tried to pull a non crimped bullet that was built like the above..Could not budge it with an inertia puller.

That lead me to try a non crimped batch..WOW groups really tightened up..and all my brass was trimmed to the same length.

Now I needed to know if the revolver would make the bullet move on recoil.
So i loaded some non crimped rounds and installed ..then proceeded to fire my hot loads with 170gr cast bullet and 2400 powder and magnum primers..1,376 fps average.
I left 2 non crimped rounds in the cylinder and shot 10 shots and measured the OAL of the non crimped rounds.

OAL did not change.
I no longer crimp for my 357 mag.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Put a pistol scope on them. That will improve accuracy.

I know you wanted reloading tips but this will improve accuracy at longer ranges and both of thos cartridges will work for longer pistol ranges. If you could use pointed bullets it might help too.

iceman755

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I dont plan on running a scope on either of them they are already obnoxiously big already. The 53 is too pretty for a scope lol. Swamprat how much crimp did you used to put on them. I tend to run a very heavy crimp on them all. I have to put quite a bit of oomph to pull mine with a inertia hammer. I have had factory crimps walk out 2 or 3 times so im a firm believer in roll crimp

iceman755

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I probably overcrimp mine then because it takes alot to pull mine. But ive been loading big stupid bullets and have had backing issues with them

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My revolver cone/ chamber is tight and too much crimp will sometimes fatten the case below the crimp.

You must be using jacketed bullets if you are having them move...
My bullets are .357" diameter and the brass ID is .355"
Lubed with alox and only enough flare to get the gas check 1/2 way into the case by hand...
Everything stays snug..

I almost want to bring you some bullets to shoot.
Heading to tecumseh today might kill a coyote or 2

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One thing overlooked on wheel guns is checking the chamber throat and matching it to bullet diameter. I have had revolvers (Smith and Colt both) that had different size throats in the cylinder. That makes it difficult to find a load that shoots consistently unless you either number the chambers and load specifically for them, or get the throats reamed to the same size. Just a check point..

Latest posts

Top Bottom