Revolver or SemiAuto for sr

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Revolver or Semi

• Revolver

Votes: 27 81.8%
  • Semi

Votes: 6 18.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mythreal

Marksman
Reaction score
My senior mom has her CCW and carries semi-auto-she has arthritis in her hands. She thinks if comforted with a situation, her adrenalin will permit her to chamber a round. My wife had a similar thought (even though she has pretty strong hands) and exchanged her semi for a revolver. Her thought was she can always fire through her purse. Any thoughts out there - should I encourage mom to replace the semi with a revolver.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No mom should carry a glock, m&p or XD semi-auto with one in the chamber. The longer heavy trigger pull of a double action revolver would make her shot's absolutely useless with a revolver. And carrying a SA without a round in the chamber is akin to carrying a brick.

purplehaze

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
did you mean "no, mom should carry a glock, other junk, or worse junk semi-auto with one in the chamber.

with a good holster for a purse (shootin 4 fun has a nice one) carrying a glock loaded is no danger.

as far as shooting the weapon while it remains in the purse go with a revolver a semi-auto would likely jam.

No mom should carry a glock, m&p or XD semi-auto with one in the chamber. The longer heavy trigger pull of a double action revolver would make her shot's absolutely useless with a revolver. And carrying a SA without a round in the chamber is akin to carrying a brick.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Find a revolver for her to try. If she can safely, and without pain, shoot it, that would be the way to go. Some revolvers have pretty nice triggers. And, if she keeps it in her purse, she can always cock the hammer to fire it single action if need be.

I'd be more worried about a jam, and her not being able to clear it, than I would be about not being able to shoot a revolver.

Have her try one to see.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I seem to remember a really elderly lady come in at the range and try out a BUNCH of guns because she was starting to have strength problems in her hands and wrists. IIRC she wound up with a 9mm semi with a manual safety on it. If I remember exactly which gun she wound up with I will post it but I just don't remember right now. I did have a couple of conversations with her and remember her saying that the trigger pull on her revolver was just too heavy for her to pull anymore.

I do also recall that she and her son finally found a "push-pull" movement that allowed her to rack the slide on the gun when she needed to. She wasn't fast but was more comfortable with a semi than a revolver she said. Especially with reloading (speed loaders vs. just shoving in a magazine). She did have some shaking ... think she said it was the beginning of Parkinson's but it wasn't too bad when I knew her.

She also had a friend who was a physical therapist give her some exercises to do to strengthen her wrists, hands and grip, but I don't know what any of those were.

jbarnett

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like the revolver and the idea of shooting through the purse without worry about jams.

You can get a revolver with a nice trigger on it or have a gunsmith fix it up.

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the G26 with a round in the pipe, in a holster or in a separate compartment in her purse.
The G26 is very comfortable to shoot and super reliable.
I prefer lightweight bullets for CCW. If the trigger feels too heavy, a 3.5lb connector will fix that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom