Revolver or SemiAuto for sr

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Revolver or Semi

• Revolver

Votes: 27 81.8%
  • Semi

Votes: 6 18.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

amadera

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Revolver with action job if necessary. If her life depends on it ....which it might, She will thank you and you will be glad.

I'm a senior myself!

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm of the opinion you should let her rent some revolvers before she commits to one. A S&W J-frame, LCR or Charter Arms revolver, has a pretty stout kick when loaded with .38 special. And the recoil with .357 mag load is downright painful.

A revolver is much less complicated and less prone to jam if she had to shoot it through a purse, but it takes training to shoot a snubbie well and with confidence. Not to mention, only five rounds in J-frame-size revolvers.

Whatever she decides, make sure she gets proper training with the weapon.

TonyT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My senior mom has her CCW and carries semi-auto-she has arthritis in her hands. She thinks if comforted with a situation, her adrenalin will permit her to chamber a round. My wife had a similar thought (even though she has pretty strong hands) and exchanged her semi for a revolver. Her thought was she can always fire through her purse. Any thoughts out there - should I encourage mom to replace the semi with a revolver.

Your mom should carry a semi auto with a round in the chamber. All the modern semi auto's have safety devices which prevent discharge without pulling the trigger. If you want a lighter trigger pull for a senior then consider one of the Kahr line. The heavier T-9 is a very pleasant shooter as is the smaller all metal MK-9. You couls also consider the older S&W99 with the AS trigger.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My father had the same problem before he passed away. The solution was an old J-frame with a 3in barrel, trigger job, and Pachmayr grips. I loaded 158 grain semi-wadcutter hollow points a little below factory loadings and it worked just fine for him.

Latest posts

Top Bottom