Rifle season.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bailey331

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
We are a week and a half into the season but Im using my T/C Encore Pro Hunter with a .45 blackpowder barrel on it. I had yet taken a deer with a muzzle loaded and planed on breaking that cycle this year. I killed a small buck last wednesday with it.

JMoore1

Marksman
Reaction score
Can you still shoot a muzzleloader during rifle season?

Im shooting my sweetheart, Marlin .35!

LOOKING TO PURCHASE A 270 WIN.WOODSTOCK, IF ANYONE HAS ONE OR KNOWS SOMEONE WHO IS LOOKING TO SELL!

Reaction score
Can you still shoot a muzzleloader during rifle season?

Yes, it's "deer gun" season - rifles (including MLs and rifled "shotguns"), smoothbore guns (shotguns with slugs), and handguns are all allowed - even a handgun in .357 Sig is allowed.

What are you using for rifle season this year?

Interesting word there, "using". I haven't USED a damned thing yet, because there's no $#^%^#@%@#$% deer. Now I *have* been CARRYING some dead weight along with me on my many many (many) squirrel, turkey, and flora-watching adventures, every time... from a PSE Tac-10 to a Rossi .45 ML, to the aforementioned Weatherby Mark V Ultra Lightweight, in .280 Rem. Maybe if I carried no weapon, the deer would come out during daylight.

Here is my best buck...taken in 08 with my .270.

Real nice buck there, imhntn - but a .270 ain't a rifle - what rifle?!? :)

is a 7mm with 175 grain round overkill for deer hunting

IMO, the answer is no as to caliber, yes as to bullet. A 175-180 would be for maximum penetration at the expense of expansion & short-range trajectory, such as trying to go after a brown bear or bigger with a 7mm round. OR, for the extremely rare situation of really long (extreme) range hunting - from a bench with a heavy rig in something like STW, or RUM, across canyons, etc., where the BC eventually overtakes MV in importance (retained velocity / retained energy).

For thin-skinned game like a deer, you don't need that kind of massive penetration - so why not trade it off to get more expansion/explosiveness. along with *adequate* penetration? A 140 is what I would (and do) use in a 7mm for deer. A 130 would be great too. A 150 would not be a bad choice either. But 160 and up starts slowing you down to give you penetration you don't need - once the bullet has exited the far side, you don't need any more penetration. In addition to expansion/explosiveness, you also get a flatter trajectory with a lighter faster bullet for the first 300 or so yards (which includes all reasonable hunting ranges anyway). So a 139/140 is about the ideal for a whitetail, when you consider all the tradeoffs - IMO. Soft point or ballistic tip of course.

Latest posts

Top Bottom