Right to shoot a dog?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tulsajj

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies, I haven't received my permit yet so that is the reason the pit got so close. If you happen to shoot the dog, do you follow the same routine as if you shot a bad guy? (Call 911, report incident, wait for officer)

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies, I haven't received my permit yet so that is the reason the pit got so close. If you happen to shoot the dog, do you follow the same routine as if you shot a bad guy? (Call 911, report incident, wait for officer)

Absolutely. Be prepared for a ticket as well for discharging a firearm in the city limits and a possible suspension of your SDA license for 6 months (OS Title 21: Section 21-1364). Not saying it will definitely happen, but it could.

Of course, the dog owner will probably come after you as well for some type of damages.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
OC spray works pretty well too. Buy two or three of the large containers and carry one on your walks. Once the dog is sprayed, and still continues to attack, you'd be pretty well justified to shoot.

Roadking Larry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Secret bunker in an undisclosed location.
My company provides dog repellent spray that is pretty effective. I carry it in m work vehicle in the dash console and there are certain paces I go that when I open the door it is in my hand. One of the locations I go to regularly is in a small town that doesn't have it's own police force or apparently any kind of leash law. For abut a year there was a medium size dog that would come at me pretty much every time I pulled onto the company property. Twice she actually got a hold of the cuff of my jeans resulting in a boot in the head. She was a slow learner. After that is when I started carrying the dog repellent. I ended up hosing her down right in the muzzle 3 times before she learned to keep her distance.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
[Broken External Image]

I will refrain from weighing in anymore...

OC spray 10% is far more effective and idiot proof than some peoples "expert" opinions on animal behavior.

A) you won't risk going to jail.
B) I don't have to worry about being the guy who catches a bullet in public when you go to shoot the dog.

A gun is not the cure all. Nor is it a license to be super badass.

Lady Glock

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
A gun is not the cure all. Nor is it a license to be super badass.

I don't believe you are acting like a super bad-ass if you are trying to protect your child from an aggressive animal. I'd rather make sure the threat was stopped, not just delayed or not affected at all.

My BF was attacked by 2 dogs in his own garage. He was fighting for his life and couldn't get them to break off the attack. He was only saved when the dogs' owner whistled for them nearly 2 blocks away.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A guy I used to work with had a problem with his neighbor's pit trying to dig under the fence all the time. He was worried about his little dog, because the pit seemed intent on getting to his dog. He wanted to put in a curbed fence, but the neighbors wouldn't even talk to him about it and would slam the door in his face. The fence was on their property line.

One day he let his dog out the doggie door to go crap, and he heard his dog yelping. He walks outside and there's the pit with its head under the fence, clamped down on the stomach of his dog. He stomped on it some and it wouldn't let go, so he walked back inside, grabbed his 92FS, and his wife followed him outside. He shot the pit.
So his neighbors FLIP. They were watching the whole thing.

Neighbors called the cops, cops said tough titty, he didn't do anything wrong.

Lady Glock

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
A guy I used to work with had a problem with his neighbor's pit trying to dig under the fence all the time. He was worried about his little dog, because the pit seemed intent on getting to his dog. He wanted to put in a curbed fence, but the neighbors wouldn't even talk to him about it and would slam the door in his face. The fence was on their property line.

One day he let his dog out the doggie door to go crap, and he heard his dog yelping. He walks outside and there's the pit with its head under the fence, clamped down on the stomach of his dog. He stomped on it some and it wouldn't let go, so he walked back inside, grabbed his 92FS, and his wife followed him outside. He shot the pit.
So his neighbors FLIP. They were watching the whole thing.

Neighbors called the cops, cops said tough titty, he didn't do anything wrong.
Did the little dog live?

Latest posts

Top Bottom