Right to shoot a dog?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm pretty liberal when it comes to dogs, practically a PETA member... ok not that liberal. I fully support shoot the owner rehab the dog. There really aren't many bad dogs just bad owners.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Yes, but in the moment, which is going to save your life potentially? Shooting the owner solves the longterm problem, but doesn't stop the dog in it's attack.

Lady Glock

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's my :twocents:
When I walk in my neighborhood, I have many dogs that come towards me. Even though I carry, I have never felt the need to pull my gun. I have been bit before on several occasions by little fluffy things slightly larger than a rat.

I have been very successful with remaining calm and issuing verbal instructions to the charging dog. This just happened last night. I clapped my hands and pointed while I said "no" in a loud authorize voice and the dog stopped in his tracks and retreated.

This technique also happened a few weeks ago when I was with my husband and we were walking our 4 dogs. A loose black lab was running all around and started coming at us. I know my dog pack well. My pit bull would not be a problem, it would be my black lab that would finish it if the stray started anything. However, I didn't even want anything to escalate. So when it started to approach, I just squared off at it and shouted "no, go away" and the dog froze in mid step and ran off. My dog pack didn't even react.

As Maverick said - understand what "aggressive" means. An approaching dog isn't always aggressive. And with proper conditioning of the person in handling the situation, lethal force can be avoided.

Don't shoot just because of fear or uncertainty...OK...let the flamin' begin because I can feel it coming.

ONB

What will you do if you ever come up against an animal who refuses to run from you on command? What if it jumps on you and starts to rip you apart? Will you beg for someone to find a way to stop the attack to save your life?

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, but in the moment, which is going to save your life potentially? Shooting the owner solves the longterm problem, but doesn't stop the dog in it's attack.

10% OC...

I have seen dogs that wouldn't release no matter how bad they were hurt, the biggest boogeyman dog of them all the pitbull has an amazing pain threshold and when hurt tends to bite harder. If it can't breathe it wants whatever is in it's mouth out of it.

I don't think I am a good enough shot to put one in a dogs brain pan especially if it's latched on and shaking without potentially hitting what it's got hold of. Anywhere else doesn't gaurantee an end to the attack.

The right tool for the right job.

Jholmes

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's called "Situational awareness". I will watch if the dog looks to be preparing to charge at me and my child. I will prepare myself to draw if it does charge, and I will shoot if it's close enough to be a danger to me and mine.

+1 on Situational awareness and protection of ones self and loved ones! It would be a dead dog once I decided it was too aggressive and too close.

amorak

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
i can add to this, i walk up to 4 dogs at a time in a rural area, have for 20 plus years, we get charged all the time, what i use is a 22 revolver with buckshot, occasionally i will carry two guns, the 22 here and a bigger gun in case i have to kill.
People, dogs will get loose, we cannot go about blasting them away, try to be reasonable and think if it was your dog that got out. having said this, if the dog is coming at you with teeth bare, i shoot, the 22 will not kill, but will in all cases i have experienced, stop them. I buy a box about every year and half, meaning i will discharge, about 20 times a year on these 4 legged wayward animals.
I do carry a knife that can be used as a last resort.

Bill

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
AMEN BROTHA! errr.... SISTA! Very well stated

BC

Here's my :twocents:
When I walk in my neighborhood, I have many dogs that come towards me. Even though I carry, I have never felt the need to pull my gun. I have been bit before on several occasions by little fluffy things slightly larger than a rat.

I have been very successful with remaining calm and issuing verbal instructions to the charging dog. This just happened last night. I clapped my hands and pointed while I said "no" in a loud authorize voice and the dog stopped in his tracks and retreated.

This technique also happened a few weeks ago when I was with my husband and we were walking our 4 dogs. A loose black lab was running all around and started coming at us. I know my dog pack well. My pit bull would not be a problem, it would be my black lab that would finish it if the stray started anything. However, I didn't even want anything to escalate. So when it started to approach, I just squared off at it and shouted "no, go away" and the dog froze in mid step and ran off. My dog pack didn't even react.

As Maverick said - understand what "aggressive" means. An approaching dog isn't always aggressive. And with proper conditioning of the person in handling the situation, lethal force can be avoided.

Don't shoot just because of fear or uncertainty...OK...let the flamin' begin because I can feel it coming.

ONB

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you! :thumb:

I took my dog "doogie" on a walk shortly after getting her. She was about 3 years old... 3/4 coyote, 1/4 australian shepherd. Walking down the street, this pit bull dog came running out of this house and ran right at my dog. I screamed for the owner to come get the dog and they just shut their door.

I unhooked my dog's leash so she had a fighting chance. She killed the pit bull, and we walked away. I'm sure the owner wasn't very happy having to pick up his dog's body out of the street.

We used to have a 1/2 wolf-1/2 huskie that could probably kill a small Volkswagen if provoked, yet she was only about 75-80 pounds. She was VERY animal aggressive too, so keeping her on a leash when she went outside was a must, & very hard to control (esp for a woman) around other dogs, cats, squirrels. Wife used to walk her in the mornings when few other animals were about. One of the neighbors thought it funny to let his two GSDs out the front door while she was walking by his house. He would watch the ensuing melee for a few seconds and then call off his dogs. For some reason the wife would not release her dog for fear of it killing the GSDs. Animal Dept. said call them to complain each time this happened. Third call they would come impound the dogs. Threat of the impound to the neighbor stopped his fun. She should have let her dog at them...

Lady Glock

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
For some reason the wife would not release her dog for fear of it killing the GSDs. Animal Dept. said call them to complain each time this happened. Third call they would come impound the dogs. Threat of the impound to the neighbor stopped his fun. She should have let her dog at them...
I couldn't take a chance that something would happen to our new baby girl...she was already abused by her owner (the man I got her from). I know pits won't release if they get hold and she couldn't manuever affectively if she were bound by a leash.

I sure miss her, but at least she lived to be 15 years old before her liver failed.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Be aware that OC's effectiveness once the attack has commenced goes down considerably in humans and dogs.

OC spray is at it's most effective as a preemptive tool.

Expecting a dog in mid-attack i.e. latched onto its prey, to respond to OC has a low percentage of success.

Disrupting the dog's vital processes is the most effective means of stopping the dog's attack once it has commenced.

Michael Brown

Latest posts

Top Bottom