Right to shoot a dog?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lady Glock

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes. It later ruined his big-screen TV with its dander.

Thank you! :thumb:

I took my dog "doogie" on a walk shortly after getting her. She was about 3 years old... 3/4 coyote, 1/4 australian shepherd. Walking down the street, this pit bull dog came running out of this house and ran right at my dog. I screamed for the owner to come get the dog and they just shut their door.

I unhooked my dog's leash so she had a fighting chance. She killed the pit bull, and we walked away. I'm sure the owner wasn't very happy having to pick up his dog's body out of the street.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is your hypthetical, dog grabs kid you don't have time to get your CCW out in time to shoot dog before this happens, you wanna shoot at dog shaking your kid around like a ragdoll or spray it? You planning on risking your kid catching a bullet or getting pepper sprayed.

If you think this is unrealistic consider the fact thay the average person determined to get you at a distance of 21ft can usually close that gap before you can draw and consider that a dog of the types described is explosively fast and if it's at a full run can get to you or your kid before you can even determine its intent.

So you planning on being billy badass CCW holder and pulling your gun when an animal is 50ft out and then claim fear for your life or your childrens... seriously?

Is it legal yes? Is it realistic no.

thecolonel

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had similar situation happen to my son and I. We were leaving our house through the garage when we came face to face with two Dobermans that had gotten out of a neighbors fenced back yard. My son was standing in front of me when the door went up, the dogs saw us and immediately went into an aggressive posture with one of the dogs flanking us on the left. I stepped in front of my son and then pulled my weapon (Kahr .45) went into a low ready position and moved slowly into the garage. The dogs did not advance on us, we moved slowly back and was able to get the door down.
We called the police, they responded, I explained to the officer what happened and he got on me for not shooting the animal. He was very clear that when it comes to a dog that if I even think that we are in danger shoot the animal. He said from the view point of the city they would look at it as a reasonable, rational and prudent discharge of a firearm in the city limits.

Lady Glock

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is your hypthetical, dog grabs kid you don't have time to get your CCW out in time to shoot dog before this happens, you wanna shoot at dog shaking your kid around like a ragdoll or spray it? You planning on risking your kid catching a bullet or getting pepper sprayed.

If you think this is unrealistic consider the fact thay the average person determined to get you at a distance of 21ft can usually close that gap before you can draw and consider that a dog of the types described is explosively fast and if it's at a full run can get to you or your kid before you can even determine its intent.

So you planning on being billy badass CCW holder and pulling your gun when an animal is 50ft out and then claim fear for your life or your childrens... seriously?

It's called "Situational awareness". I will watch if the dog looks to be preparing to charge at me and my child. I will prepare myself to draw if it does charge, and I will shoot if it's close enough to be a danger to me and mine.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One thing that really hasn't be said.

In todays climate of fear of agressive animals not to many juries are going to find in the dog owners favor. He loses, you counter sue for jerking you around. This happens a few times and the dog owners will start being a little more responsible. Just saying.....

1911master

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I am going to give my 2 cents on this. As a child I was bit by two different dogs. One a german sherperd and the other a mutt. Therefore I do have some fear of mans best friend. Any time I go outside of my house I carry a pistol of some type. No dog is going to ruin my day.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Honestly, why are you exaggerating all the scenarios here? Nobody is acting like a superman here.... someone stated that a dog was charging his kid? Doesn't seem superman to me. Someone stated a story where a dog was being attacked...... again... I'd do the same. I'm all for carrying pepper spray but I have a CCW for a reason.... it's to stop threats if needed.

Maverick7340

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm a dog lover and I'm fine about shooting a dog that is acting aggressive.

I only ask that the "acting aggressive" part is actual and real and not just a "feeling" you have based on an illusion because of the brainwashing the media has instilled about certain breeds.

If you have been bit before and now have a fear that is triggered by a dog walking in your direction I hope you have the ability to judge what is really going on and not trusting the emotions that come with that fear of something that happened before.

one-non-blonde

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's my :twocents:
When I walk in my neighborhood, I have many dogs that come towards me. Even though I carry, I have never felt the need to pull my gun. I have been bit before on several occasions by little fluffy things slightly larger than a rat.

I have been very successful with remaining calm and issuing verbal instructions to the charging dog. This just happened last night. I clapped my hands and pointed while I said "no" in a loud authorize voice and the dog stopped in his tracks and retreated.

This technique also happened a few weeks ago when I was with my husband and we were walking our 4 dogs. A loose black lab was running all around and started coming at us. I know my dog pack well. My pit bull would not be a problem, it would be my black lab that would finish it if the stray started anything. However, I didn't even want anything to escalate. So when it started to approach, I just squared off at it and shouted "no, go away" and the dog froze in mid step and ran off. My dog pack didn't even react.

As Maverick said - understand what "aggressive" means. An approaching dog isn't always aggressive. And with proper conditioning of the person in handling the situation, lethal force can be avoided.

Don't shoot just because of fear or uncertainty...OK...let the flamin' begin because I can feel it coming.

ONB

Latest posts

Top Bottom