RIP Corvette

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They had to do something. The vette is any other fast American car... Mustang, Camaro, Challenger.... Goes real fast as long as it's in a straight line. Toss it on a track, and all that horsepower gets left behind by "lesser" cars that were much better designed. Smaller motors that made more power, suspension meant for non-grid roadways. Wouldn't feel too bad. Lamborghini has also been left in the past. They put emphasis on track cars like Corvette, and consumer models are snipped at the balls before hitting the showroom floor.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anything pre-C5 version is a real pig in ride & handling. I drove a friends 2017 Stingray around and it's got a lot going for it plus would leave the early cars in the dust.

Nobody wants to hear that but I completely agree. Same with F-Body GM or Mustangs. That doesn't mean we can't enjoy the nostalgia and want a 69 more than a new one but they will never match performance or ability to do something simple like turn and not yaw.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't understand the complaining. The Vette has been through so many different iterations over the years, it's not the same care in any way shape or form. That's ok. This one looks like an updated version to me, I love the mid-engine concept. It seems like a cross between a Vette and a Ferarri - no, scratch that, it looks more Lotus to me - and I love it! I'd buy one in a second if I could afford one, OR get one! They'll be snatched up faster than they can make them.

Good for GM, moving forward with the times. They've been bantering about the mid-engine concept for decades, I am glad they've finally gotten off their asses. Now, if they'll do it RIGHT, and not do it CHEAP, then it'll be a winner. I don't want to see them in 10 years with cracked plastic dashboards, fading paint and more creaking body noise than Betty White getting out of her lift chair...

Buddhaman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I still love Corvettes (except the C4). It was bound to happen eventually. Everybody considered the ‘Vette a cheaper performance option to more expensive cars. But there’s a lot of benefit in the mid-engine layout. Zora Arkus-Duntov was pushing for years to have it done. This is just the next step forward in a performance evolution.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
I never cared for C5 and the big old rearend on them. To me the new ones look amazing. Still looks like a vette. All the reports. Months ago that is was so powerful it was bending the frame. Thats amazing they are making so much power. I am a porsche guy and recall when they started water cooling the heads. That was earth shattering. How could they do that. Well they had to if they wanted to continue improving the outputs. So times change cars get updates. A 800hp Charger is amazing also. Who would have thought turbos and super chargers would get americans excited 20 years ago?

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hell, I wished they'd do mid engine AND AWD. I'm kind of over V8s and RWD and the Corvette is kind of at the limit as to how much further you can go in terms of the whole package.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Two 'Vette stories. Had a friend and neighbor in high school that got an early '60's "Vette before going off to drafting school in Denver. Every time that he came home, he was sitting on orange crates. (They were wooden back then.) No one ever stole his car, but he just couldn't keep seats.

Years later, at the 25th anniversary of the 'Vette, GM made a special edition model, one for each Chevy dealership in the country. We walked into the dealership in Texhoma, OK that year and saw that silver beauty. We were admiring the car when the dealer told us that he had passed up a $25,000 offer for the car, which had a much cheaper sticker price. I asked him why, and he said that he thought it would probably be sold for around $35,000 by some eager collector.

Eager collector never came around, and last I heard, it was purchased by a son, grandson, or some other young family member who managed to wreck it about 3 weeks after getting it.

Myself, none of the sporty, fast cars ever really appealed to me. Just give me good reliable transportation for up to 6 people and I was happy.

My first car was a 2-door Ford 6 cylinder with a three-speed column shift. Bought it myself with money from the proceeds of selling a calf.

Latest posts

Top Bottom