Rules for transporting a firearm into Colorado without a carry permit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My parents are fixing to go to Colorado for my nieces softball tournament. My dad doesn't have his carry permit yet because he likes to procrastinate. What are the laws on transporting a pistol into Colorado without a carry permit? Could he carry it in his car and then to the cabin they are staying in? Any info and help on this would be much appreciated.

Shodown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My parents are fixing to go to Colorado for my nieces softball tournament. My dad doesn't have his carry permit yet because he likes to procrastinate. What are the laws on transporting a pistol into Colorado without a carry permit? Could he carry it in his car and then to the cabin they are staying in? Any info and help on this would be much appreciated.

I used to live in Wyoming and often drove down to Colorado to go shooting. I was told by a reserve police officer that in CO your car is an extension of your home and you can carry it loaded in your car. I told him that I wasn't a resident nor did I have a CCW license in CO and he told me it didn't matter and I was legal to have it loaded in my truck. Take that for what its worth.

I had also been pulled over for speeding on my way back from taking a tactical rifle/pistol course and told the cop I had several guns in my truck and she didn't ask anything about them or to see them. Now, that is one cop in a whole state and doesn't represent all cops, but by and large CO cops are 2A supporters.

Stay clear of Denver though...not 2A friendly. They have an "assault weapons" ban and had a ban on "high capacity" mags long before the rest of the state did. They also have a lot more restrictions on where you can legally carry too. Lots of California liberal implants in Denver...

Last edited:

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.handgunlaw.us/ Click on Colorado for complete file. Without further research I am not certain this applies to nonresidents.

18-12-204. Permit Contents - Validity - Carrying Requirements.
(3) (a) a person who may lawfully possess a handgun may carry a handgun under the following circumstances without obtaining a permit and the handgun shall not be considered concealed:
(I) the handgun is in the possession of a person who is in a private automobile or in some other private means of conveyance and who carries the handgun for a legal use, including self-defense.

FOG

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got pulled over near the rocky mt. National park a few years ago during a family vacation. Traffic stop was going ok until he asked if I had a weapon in the vehicle. I told him yes but it was unloaded, packed in luggage and the mag was in a separate compartment. I did not have a permit and he lectured me sternly about carrying guns in "his" state. I just knew it was going to end badly but in the end he let us go and even wrote me a warning for the speeding violation.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom