S&W 442 Airweight

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ewheeley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Checked out the gun show in Fort Smith today with my girlfriend. She surprised me by asking to go by an ATM and get some cash. I was intending to look for some CZ pistols (no dice). She surprised me even more by leaving 30 minutes later with her very own 442. She was drawn to it the moment she saw it, and I can honestly say I haven't seen her so immediately attached to something like this ever. It feels so good that she made the decision for herself. It's ultimately the gun I would've wanted for her, but that it was her choice is just icing on the cake.

The only bad part was the sense of disapproval from her grandparents. They're the "gun experts" that she's closest too, and we both get the feeling that they're too tied to their older S&Ws to think much of the new hammerless models. Her grandfather was convinced that not having an exposed hammer would be a safety hazard. We honestly couldn't make sense of their reasoning, but she loved the gun and the heavier trigger pull is a plus for her; she feels like she'll be less likely to accidentally discharge due to indecision.

Can't wait to take her to the range!

ewheeley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's good luck for me. I'm still 9 days away from that big 21st birthday, so I'm still waiting for my first handgun purchase. She was originally so/so about me buying one, but now she's +1 on me! I have to catch up!

B96brig4CC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife's' first gun was a S&W M&P 340PD with crimson trace grips. Just got it 2 weeks ago. She loves the way it fits her hand and controls it very well with 38 +P rounds. The 357 aren't much fun to shoot out of it, but I keep it loaded with those for at the house. Great choice for your girls first gun.

wheats

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 442 Airweight is awesome. Only complaint I have when shooting one is the lightweight body allows a lot of recoil. Doesn't sting so bad if you use light load defense ammo.

Have fun!

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The 442 Airweight is awesome. Only complaint I have when shooting one is the lightweight body allows a lot of recoil. Doesn't sting so bad if you use light load defense ammo.

Have fun!

It's sure not one you want to take to the range and shoot a couple hundred rounds through; especially at the price for lousy .38 ammo these days; but like all handguns; it's a trade-off. What it is is a very light, reliable, (and quite handsome) gun designed for one thing: Concealed Carry.

ptp

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good choice! That is what my wife has as well. It has a lot of good features such as reliability, concealability, adequate power, and it just plain looks good.

Latest posts

Top Bottom