S&W Bodyguard .38 Spl revolver (Newer Polymer with laser version - BG38)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I gave this to my Dad for use as a backup gun. Whenever we would shoot it out at the range, there would almost always be a misfire atleast once out of 5 shots. At the time I passed it off as cheap crappy ammo with really hard primers. This would repeatedly happen with each range trip and so I finally bought some Speer Gold Dots to test with the firearm and it would misfire even with the Speer ammunition. I noticed that the primer was barely dinged and even with the rounds that did successfully ignite had uncomfortably light primer strikes, as well.

Anyways, based on online research, it seems that newer S&W revolvers have a tendency to have issues with light primer strikes. Most recommend going with the Apex J frame kits. The problem is it turns out that the newer polymer Bodyguard .38 revolver doesn't follow the J Frame functionality nor does it utilize the same parts.

There is absolutely nothing online regarding the BG38. No schematics on detail stripping the firearm down to it's parts, no Youtube walk throughs on disassembly, nothing. My Dad really loves this revolver, but I feel really uncomfortable him carrying an unreliable firearm and would like to repair it if possible.

Does anybody have any experience of the disassembly of this firearm? i would like to replace the firing pin with an Apex kit, if possible. Alternatively, are there any gunsmiths who are familiar with the S&W BG38 revolver to service it?

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have never had a misfire with my bg38 and it has at least a thousand rounds through it. I would call s&w, their customer service is to notch.

Transmitted via Tactical Telecommunications Device

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought my Dad a Interarms Walther PPK/S used, the extractor broke. S&W fixed it for free, not saying they would do that but it's worth a shot. Even if they charge you , it will be done right and give you piece of mind.

Latest posts

Top Bottom