Salary question for Oklahoma?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EhlerDave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does anyone know about employees on salary?

I was wondering how missing a day works. Working extra time is just a gift to the employer, yet expected.

So is it common practice for the salaried employee to be told they must pay a replacement for a day out of their pocket, if they are absent? To top it off the fill in makes more per hour than the normal person does for the same job, that leads to a serious loss in income for missing a day.

I am asking because I have never heard of such a thing as the salaried employee paying out of pocket due to missing a day. I was thinking the extra time worked takes care of the time that may need to be taken off, kind of evens out.

I am looking for a phone number of someone that can help answer this mess.

Any help is appreciated.

Commander Keen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm part salary, part commission.

If I work more than my 40/week I get a little extra for that overage.

I also have paid time off, and have never needed go to over the number of days I have accrued so there's no paying my employer when I'm gone. I don't know for certain what would happen if I had to go over, but likely it would just be unpaid rather than having to pay my employer. Then again, if I had to take a lot of time it would probably be best to take an extended leave or so...

Basically I think it will vary based upon employer, so YMMV.

Okie4Life

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Completely depends on the company policy/handbook.

Some on salary, may get a little more for extra hours.
Personally if I work 40 or 80 its the same pay check.

You also didn't mention the terms of missing a day. Our company is pretty flexible in time off, but each employee is allotted a certain # of vacation/sick days. IF you have used all you vacation/sick days there may be consequences for missing additional days. All depends on your company's policy

EhlerDave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Town employee, only employee in office.

Completely depends on the company policy/handbook.

Some on salary, may get a little more for extra hours.
Personally if I work 40 or 80 its the same pay check.

You also didn't mention the terms of missing a day. Our company is pretty flexible in time off, but each employee is allotted a certain # of vacation/sick days. IF you have used all you vacation/sick days there may be consequences for missing additional days. All depends on your company's policy

When hired it was known time would be needed with no or very short notice, due to disabled family members. All was fine then, now things are changing. Two "work weeks" 4 days 4 hours per day, vacation time after 1 year.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
An exempt employee is normally expected to get the job done...no matter the time it takes. Time off, unless abused, is mostly not counted. But you're expected to be there during normal business hours. With that said your employer can change the deal to whatever your and they agreed to. I agree that a call to the OK Dept of Labor or the NLRB could be in order.

brown_one2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been in salaried jobs for the last 20+ years. Never had an instance where I was asked to pay back for missing a day but I prob have only missed at most 5 days during that time. I either had paid time of or vacation but was never required to use it to cover those days. I usually just made it up another day.

Latest posts

Top Bottom