Sand Plums

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sooonerbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most are still green, but there is the occasional one that turns pink early. That's when she gets them. Still too bitter for me, but I wonder if I pick some green ones, they will ripen up on the counter like tomato's??

They will ripen, but your jelly will have a bitter aftertaste. If you want to know what jelly with a bitter aftertaste is like, I'll send you a jar.

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Picked a 5-gal bucket of plums this afternoon, only 1 tick I had to pull out of my leg... Got the crap kicked out of me by the bushes, the resulting jam will determine whether or not I'll be back to pick more. Didn't even make a dent in the thicket I was picking in, only had to move once to fill the bucket.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Ran out of sugar, pectin, and jars tonight. Still got enough juice to do 10 more pints.................about done for the year, started labeling lids "6/14" tonight, must have been tired, lol.

i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_photobucket_5313_1404880396954_zps11fb16c7.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man! your going to have enough jelly to feed a school!

I saw a ripe on on my bushes. It was gone the next morning. Lots of green ones still, but something is eating them.

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've made a couple batches of jelly - very unique taste with slightly bitter aftertaste... Had some mangoes and thought they would go well together and figured what the heck, made a batch of mango & sand plum jelly and was pleasantly surprised at just how good it was! Now I gotta get a box of mangoes to finish off the juice! A 5-gallon bucket of plums goes a long way...

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Yes it does, we're still picking them now and then, I've never seen them hang on so long throughout the summer. Figure 1lb of plums makes one cup of juice.......4 cups juice/4lbs of sugar makes 5pts of jelly. We've been freezing the juice.

Latest posts

Top Bottom