Savage 6.5

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pull a bullet from your favorite factory round or use a full length resized case as a headspace gauge, and you will get more accurate results! I have yet to find a way to load and shoot headspace gauges, and find them to be about as useless as tits on an old boar hog!

NEVER use a live or loaded round as a headspace gauge, and a full length resized case works best. If you shoot only factory ammo, pull a bullet and dump the powder...

As a side note, if you are going to shoot factory Hornady ammunition, be sure to headspace your barrel using it. If you use other brands of factory ammo and headspace with it, there is a 99.9% chance that Hornady ammo will NOT chamber...

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Case length - no...

Headspace on Hornady ammo is the longest of all factory ammunition. The base to shoulder length
is longer...

I build a lot of rifles chambered for the Creedmoor, and I see this all the time with Hornady ammo. I see the same thing in other calibers of Hornady ammo too...

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m not a gunsmith so please tell me if I’m incorrect.

Let’s say he does headspace with an unfired/unloaded Hornady cartridge and it’s a “go”; and let’s say the cartridge is at the maximum of the SAAMI cartridge specification of 1.5508” (headspace). What does he use for the “no go” gauge? Maximum SAAMI chamber specification is 1.551” (headspace). The op could end up with a chamber which is possibly too long causing loss of case longevity or worse.

If a true “no go” gauge allows the bolt into battery isn’t that informing the shooter that they have a chamber which is possibly too long and a field gauge should also be used?

It sounds to me like you are using a Hornady cartridge which should be within SAAMI cartridge specification as your “no go” gauge and some other cartridge as your “go” gauge.

I think I would rather use a tool for its intended use. Using different lots of Hornady ammo as my “no go” gauge doesn’t seem very reliable.

Doesn’t a “go” gauge make sure the chamber isn’t too short and a “no go” gauge make sure the chamber isn’t too long?

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hornady ammunition is at the max end of s.a.a.m.i. specs, and is a gun is headspaced with that ammo, then all other factory will chamber. Minimum spec ammo will show more headspace!

I always set my guns up for absolute minimum headspace, regardless of cartridge. I finished a 300 Win. Mag. last week that was headspaced with new Norma brass that had been full length resized. The customer ran all 100 pieces of brass through the gun and all 100 chambered and extracted flawlessly. At the last minute, the customer brought me 3 full boxes of Hornady factoey ammo. Not a single round would chamber! Measured headspace showed there was .015 difference between the factory ammo and the new brass. Since this was a long range rifle, meant for extreme accuracy, I advised he stay with brass the gun was originally chambered and headspaced for. If I had recut the chamber to accept the Hornady ammo, and he decided to later load his own ammo, his new brass would then have right at .017 headspace! Not good for safety or accuracy!

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hornady ammunition is at the max end of s.a.a.m.i. specs, and is a gun is headspaced with that ammo, then all other factory will chamber. Minimum spec ammo will show more headspace!

I always set my guns up for absolute minimum headspace, regardless of cartridge. I finished a 300 Win. Mag. last week that was headspaced with new Norma brass that had been full length resized. The customer ran all 100 pieces of brass through the gun and all 100 chambered and extracted flawlessly. At the last minute, the customer brought me 3 full boxes of Hornady factoey ammo. Not a single round would chamber! Measured headspace showed there was .015 difference between the factory ammo and the new brass. Since this was a long range rifle, meant for extreme accuracy, I advised he stay with brass the gun was originally chambered and headspaced for. If I had recut the chamber to accept the Hornady ammo, and he decided to later load his own ammo, his new brass would then have right at .017 headspace! Not good for safety or accuracy!
Thanks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom