School me on electric lawn mowers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Having trouble getting our lawn mower to run again and thinking an electric might be the way to go. Wife wants a self propelled.
Do you have one?
Do you like it?
Will they handle a yard with lots of weeds?
What brands do you guys recommend?

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have an old plug in electric. It works just as good if not better than gas powered mower on our residential size lawn. Personally, I like a light weight 18” mower that’s easy to push and maneuver around and don’t particularly like self-propelled mowers because they are usually larger and heavier. The self-propelled option is good if have a nice flat wide open lawn.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
My dad has one the guy I work with dad has one. Get the highest voltage you can afford. They get bogged down by grass that is not mowed often enough which hurts battery life. Most of my tools are the lithium dewalt’s so that’s what would buy since I could use the batteries in my saws. The high voltage dewalt comes with 10MaH batteries. Man, that would run my chainsaw for a while!

Letfreedomring

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got the EGO self propelled 21" mower that I bought a couple years ago for the wifey unit to help out and get exercise so I could sell my JD hydro 185 46" rider. Well, that didn't work out the way I'd planned. Lol. The mower works fine compared to other ICE push mowers in that everything is built the cheapest way possible nowadays. The mower has a plastic deck and one handle height adjuster which makes slop between left and right sides so everytime you lift and lower deck to turn corners it makes half moon scalps in the grass. The process to get it started is a pain if you forget which order to push button and pull safety lever, but once you get the order down is a non-issue. The self propelled part is nice and can be adjusted to a preferred walking speed. We have a lot and a quarter and it does ok, but if grass has been neglected it will not make it the whole yard without a recharge.
On the plus side, it is quiet sounding like a shop fan on high so early morning or late night mowing sessions won't disturb neighbors. The battery takes about 30 minutes to fully charge and weighs about the same as a gallon of milk. I only use mine as a backup if my other 2 (JD rider and toro push mower) ICE mowers won't start.

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where they bust the sod in South Tulsa County.
I have an Echo cordless 56V battery lawn mower. It's 3 years old now. It's not self-propelled. It came with one battery although it has a spot for a second one. It will mulch or bag. The motor is load sensing and will speed up when it senses thick grass.
The battery can be shared with other Echo cordless tools.
The styling and design looks like a traditional gasoline powered mower and not like a Transformers toy. I'm very satisfied.

Last edited:

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well heck RickN, it's time you did something nice for the wife! I think I'll get rid of the mule and buy mine a John Deere. Her birthday is coming up and believe it or not, she is talking about a battery powered mower.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well heck RickN, it's time you did something nice for the wife! I think I'll get rid of the mule and buy mine a John Deere. Her birthday is coming up and believe it or not, she is talking about a battery powered mower.
Yea she insist that she has to a have a self propelled mower, but want to guess who always mows the lawn? It sure ain't her.

AGI

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I also have a 21in ego mower. Have had it for a few years now without issues.

I like that i can mow late at night as it has headlights and is super quiet. I still have a gas mower but use it less and less..

1911Sooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another happy Ego customer here. I will never go back to gas. I have the Ego stick edger and weed eater also. The torque is great, last over an hour on a charge, can swap batteries between tools, and the mower is super light despite being self propelled.

Latest posts

Top Bottom