Self Defense using Reloads?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

F16mickey

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The thing to remember is if you use your reloads its you making "extra special killer rounds". If you use factory stuff then it is their liability! Even if you are duplicating factory loads!

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The legal issues are usually tied to the initial investigation. I dont think using reloads will negate a righteous shoot in the LE or DAs mind... however, a civil suite could follow and it could be argued that you were using reloads which were intentionally made more lethal than a factory load.

I know it sounds stupid, and I would agree. However, I would rather not take the chance. If some lawyer wants to talk to me about the lethality of my ammo, he can take it up with the manufacturer and save me some court costs and lawyers fees.

CASTRATE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
gold dots seem to be the most common. my mom is a federal defense attorney and works with a lot of US Marshals, POs, and occasionally with FBI agents. last time i checked with her, she said 2 of them carried gold dots, and one of them had just started using the new Winchester supreme elites.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How would anybody find out you used reloads unless the shooter said that is what was used?
Every bullet I reload is identical to factory offerings.
I don't know...just asking.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The legal issues are usually tied to the initial investigation. I dont think using reloads will negate a righteous shoot in the LE or DAs mind... however, a civil suite could follow and it could be argued that you were using reloads which were intentionally made more lethal than a factory load.

I know it sounds stupid, and I would agree. However, I would rather not take the chance. If some lawyer wants to talk to me about the lethality of my ammo, he can take it up with the manufacturer and save me some court costs and lawyers fees.

But aren't you protected from civil suit in the event of a righteous shoot?

A lot of agencies carry gold dot. You can buy GD projectiles from Speer. If you use Speer or CCI brass and CCI primers and no one would ever know. Heck, no one would know anyway if you didn't say that they were reloads.

Plus, I'm not aware of any case law that would even make using reloads a factor.

Latest posts

Top Bottom