Selling reloaded ammo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

younggundavid

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He said that brass was free, so you need to back out .04 cents from the cost.
My brass is free too, by the way.

I use basically 5 grains of HP38/231, which comes out to about 1400 rounds per pound.

My cost is .12 to .13, dependng upon price of primers.

I've been handloading for 31 years now...since I was about 20 years old.

He never said the brass was free (that would've stuck in my head as I responded to postings),, but he did say his figures were "provided he doesn't have to pay for the brass" same difference as free I'm sure. Based on that I'm aware a subtraction of around 4 cents would be necessary.. Thanks for pointing that out. Based on that I can only assume he's purchasing bullets for 18 dollars a hundred from a local retail store and isn't aware bulk bullets should cost 8 to 9 cents a round for plated 9mm bullets... (if you can find them)

Not sure how to get FREE brass... Maybe I'll have to reload for another 15 years before I can figure it out. I generally only sell around 9 to 10 thousand rounds a year and reload about 1500 rnds for myself...(I reload my own brass so I dont have to constantly buy new brass for myself..) So I do pay for the 9 to 10 thousand rounds a year I sell or barter with. I live in the country and shoot down at the bottom of the canyon's.. Occaisionally I go to an outdoor range. The rules of the range won't allow me to pickup any brass except my own... However, if I am shooting next to someone and that person gives me permission to pick up their brass.. the range owner usually doesn't say anything. I do have a lady friend who is a criminal investigator for the IRS. Her job requires her to carry a .40 sw and requires her to to shoot at least 200 rnds at the government range once every 3 months.. I did ask her a couple weeks ago.. next time she is at the range to find out what they do with the brass. The rounds are provided for her for free. I'm just positive they have it reloaded or it's sold to someone.. but I do have her checking on it for me.

I baiscially use 5.4 grains of Winchester 231. This gives me an average of 1182 fps through my berretta. Which comes to 1296 rns for the same 1lb your using. Which again as I mentioned earlier is roughly 3/4's of a lb of powder per thousand.

If I don't include brass... right now. My price to reload 9mm is 1.2 cents per round for powder. 3.8cents per round for primer(with tax) and 9 cents per round for the bullet. Or 14 cents per round. So I obviously don't have as good of resources as you. (again,,, maybe in another 15 years I'll figure out how to shave off those last 2 pennies a round)

I had known in my heart that you were at least twice.. the reloader I am.. long before I responded.. I guess I was off by 1 year..

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well just adjusted my prices but not as low as some would like
sold all the 223,
9mm $19.50
40 $20.63
45 $26.25

Will look for cheaper bullets, primers and powder so I can bring the prices down but for now I have 1K of each done in accuracy loads that I need to sell.

WessonOil

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He never said the brass was free (that would've stuck in my head as I responded to postings),, but he did say his figures were "provided he doesn't have to pay for the brass" same difference as free I'm sure. Based on that I'm aware a subtraction of around 4 cents would be necessary.. Thanks for pointing that out. Based on that I can only assume he's purchasing bullets for 18 dollars a hundred from a local retail store and isn't aware bulk bullets should cost 8 to 9 cents a round for plated 9mm bullets... (if you can find them)

Not sure how to get FREE brass... Maybe I'll have to reload for another 15 years before I can figure it out. I generally only sell around 9 to 10 thousand rounds a year and reload about 1500 rnds for myself...(I reload my own brass so I dont have to constantly buy new brass for myself..) So I do pay for the 9 to 10 thousand rounds a year I sell or barter with. I live in the country and shoot down at the bottom of the canyon's.. Occaisionally I go to an outdoor range. The rules of the range won't allow me to pickup any brass except my own... However, if I am shooting next to someone and that person gives me permission to pick up their brass.. the range owner usually doesn't say anything. I do have a lady friend who is a criminal investigator for the IRS. Her job requires her to carry a .40 sw and requires her to to shoot at least 200 rnds at the government range once every 3 months.. I did ask her a couple weeks ago.. next time she is at the range to find out what they do with the brass. The rounds are provided for her for free. I'm just positive they have it reloaded or it's sold to someone.. but I do have her checking on it for me.

I baiscially use 5.4 grains of Winchester 231. This gives me an average of 1182 fps through my berretta. Which comes to 1296 rns for the same 1lb your using. Which again as I mentioned earlier is roughly 3/4's of a lb of powder per thousand.

If I don't include brass... right now. My price to reload 9mm is 1.2 cents per round for powder. 3.8cents per round for primer(with tax) and 9 cents per round for the bullet. Or 14 cents per round. So I obviously don't have as good of resources as you. (again,,, maybe in another 15 years I'll figure out how to shave off those last 2 pennies a round)

I had known in my heart that you were at least twice.. the reloader I am.. long before I responded.. I guess I was off by 1 year..

In his first post, he says the brass is free:

"It cost from .20 to .28 to make a single reload with modern prices of primers, powder and bullets provided I don't have to pay for the brass. this does not include any labor or gas to go get the supplies or postage to get them here. I can comfortable make 400 to 500 rounds per hour after setup."

Not sure how he gets free brass either, but with all that I pick up from the range I belong to or is given to me by people who don't handload, my 9mm and 45 acp is free.

After a CCW class at my range, 9mm is really plentiful. :)

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did I say I get free brass? Nope, I buy it from an indoor range around the corner from me.
but it ends up costing only 2 or 3 cents per useable round.

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What's so damn difficult to understand that the cost would be slightly more if he has to buy the brass?

.20-.28 cents IF he doesn't have to pay for brass.

Latest posts

Top Bottom