Selling reloaded ammo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What would your cost be to reload if someone already had the brass? I have collected brass while shooting, but have no intention of reloading it.

You buy all the supplies and I will do it for .10 a round or .13 a round for 223 or 556 since it has to be resized for length, I will not do it if I have to supply the materials so shop around for primers, powder, and bullets.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Considering Winchester 100rd bulk pack 9mm that i picked up at Walmart for $25 OTD yesterday and Win 100rd .40 bulk packs for $36 OTD this morning, it's gonna be hard to compete.
Also last week was 325rd Fed .22lr bulk packs for $15-16 Otd and Fed 5.56 for about $8 per 20rd OTD.
Hard to compete with Walmart.
Then again, most of the guys I've been talking to at the range don't even realize ammo is hard to get.

Right, no one can compete with Walmart and few can get ammo there because you buy it all up.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Right, no one can compete with Walmart and few can get ammo there because you buy it all up.

Whoa! Wait a minute!
You have to give the guy a break because he is using the supply and demand issue to screw everybody else out of ammo from a caliber he doesn't even own or shoot to make a buck?
OMG! How could you?

SCREW THE RESELLERS! your on the list...and I don't need your overpriced ammo. LOL......You just piss me off because you screw other shooters.

WessonOil

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmm. been reloading a while myself now.. about 15 years... Precision delta bullets... 9mm 115 grn fmj rn... 93.00 per thousand or 89.00 per thousand with an order of 10,000 rnds. so that's 8.9 cents per round Plus powder... buy good powder in 8lb can's.. you'll spend roughly 15.00 dollars per pound. Depending on charge your going to use roughly 3/4's of a lb... so let's say 1.2 cents per round for powder. Primers at 35.00 per thousand... 3.5 cents per round... good once fired military brass... 40 dollars per thousand.. so .4 cents per round... so that would be 17.6 cents per round.. if you put 1000 rnds of 9mm in an ammo can to sell to customers.. your looking at roughly another 12 dollars for the can.. that's another 1.2 cents per round... making a total of 18.8 cents per round.. or roughly 19 cents per round. So his costs seem about right..

Buddy of mine is a licensced manufacturer of ammo... The average price on military brass (if your the one bidding at the military bases) is roughly 3.8 cents per round from the results of bids from the last 90 days.. IF your the one doing the bidding.. if your purchasing from the ones doing the bidding you'll pay nearly double that(right now)...He buys 1.2 million primers at a time(straight from winchester)... and still pays.. nearly 2 cents per round for primers... and his powder comes in 70lb drums.. he still spends nearly 1 cents per round for powder.. He order's 1 million bullets at a time as well and his plated bullets are still costing him 6.3 cents per round once he receives them.. So I guess if you could go out today and invest 150,000.00 dollars to buy enough brass/ bullets/ primer and powder in bulk .. you could probably get the price down to about 12 cents per round..

He said that brass was free, so you need to back out .04 cents from the cost.
My brass is free too, by the way.

I use basically 5 grains of HP38/231, which comes out to about 1400 rounds per pound.

My cost is .12 to .13, dependng upon price of primers.

I've been handloading for 31 years now...since I was about 20 years old.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don, when I had my manufacturers license, I never supplied the brass. I had contracts with local indoor shooting ranges and reloaded their brass. No excise tax on using their brass. Most FFL Mfg types are loading for their own indoor ranges. You are the guy doing all the work and assuming the risks associated with it, if the price you put on it is higher than I want to pay, I won't buy it, and if not, I will. Same story for any other product I am in the market for. There is so much fluctuation in source prices today that you will need to buy and store fairly large quantities to help even out the fluctuations. Then you get into the storage issues for powder and primers. Now you understand part of why I gave it up back in the '80s.. I did a lot of loading for a gentleman named Richard Morrison who specialized in rare and obsolete calibers. Richard would supply the brass and I loaded it to his specs. That was where the money was.. Blitzfike

Latest posts

Top Bottom