Sen. Cornyn, With NRA Blessing, Proposes Gun Background Checks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What, do you think, ought to be reported, by law?

If a person is talking about going out and doing a mass shooting, ambushing cops, etc then it should be reported. I forget how the law reads but I think if they are a clear danger to themselves or others is close to the wording. Yes there is the possibility of abuse which is why pro-gun people need to work on the issue instead of anti-gunners. We have a choice people and all the libertarian pipe dreams in the world are not going to help. We either find a way to fix the problem while preserving every right we can for the sane, law abiding gun owners, or we watch as we get demonized until we have no gun rights.

And reports are that the guy today has mental issues. Luckily not a real gun or we would be hearing about another mass shooting.

Man killed by police in Tennessee theater had 'significant' mental issues

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/08/06/shots-reportedly-fired-at-tennessee-movie-theater/?intcmp=hpbt1

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The mental health system was gutted back in the mid 80's. For the life of me I can't remember her name, but there was a schizophrenic that gained celebrity status with the Hollywood liberal elite. She has a psychiatrist in her back pocket and with the backing of powerful people and her own "expert", she got a lot of mental institutions shut down. Reagan ultimately bowed and signed a law (don't remember which one it was) that pretty much ended mental institutions.

That's when the homeless population exploded and these people became a problem for law enforcement to deal with. It's no coincidence that mass shootings have exploded since the early 90's. People like Adam Lanza would've been committed. Instead, they're pumped full of SSRI's because insurance companies don't want to pay for therapy or in-patient treatment.

The whole sordid mess set back the state of psychiatric care in the U.S. back. Way back. :(
Yep, and it didn't help that many people believed psychological problems could be "cured" using the medical model. They usually can't because, for one reason (of many), they are only partly biological...the social/environmental/cultural factors are just as powerful, and interact with, the biological ones.

Last edited:

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
...We have a choice people and all the libertarian pipe dreams in the world are not going to help. We either find a way to fix the problem while preserving every right we can for the sane, law abiding gun owners, or we watch as we get demonized until we have no gun rights...
Agreed.

jfssms

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If we're going to use the "we don't have a gun problem, we have a mental health problem", then part of the mental health discussion will lead directly to firearms restrictions to those people that a vast majority of Americans will agree need restrictions...and that's exactly what's happening. I'm not saying I personally agree with any of this. But, good luck convincing America that everyone should be armed no matter their mental state. And good luck convincing America that more guns will fix the problem when we already have more guns per capita than nearly any other country, and also more gun deaths per capita. You don't have to convince *me* why these relationships exist...it's going to be the growing majority of the public that truly believes more gun control is the answer. Using the same old sayings won't work...using the same old metaphors/comparisons won't work...using the same old statistics won't work. Changes are coming in regard to mental health procedures/processes/diagnoses/etc. that will lead to serious discussions, politically, about gun control...I sure hope the gun community brings more than the traditional, ineffective rhetoric to the next battle. Whining on gun forums isn't going to do s$hit...we had better make some friends with people that support gun control and approach the issue from a new angle...and we better have some good answers to some difficult questions.

Wow! We must change this country right? how many poor men and women have saved their children or themselves from rape or murder with a cheap gun?

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow! We must change this country right? how many poor men and women have saved their children or themselves from rape or murder with a cheap gun?
No, I don't think so. But I think change is coming anyway.

No Sir! people that think like you really scare me!
I haven't said much about what I personally think. What do you think about it?

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have no issue with the reporting of Involuntary adjudication to NICS. The concern is those who voluntarily seek help, veterans deal with this one when they go to the VA and ask for help with a mental health issue they get reported to NICS, so instead of going and asking for help if they can't afford healthcare outside of the VA system they suffer.

Someone stated not all mental health issues are physiological and treatable by drugs, and that's true, but some are. If you begin treating people who voluntarily seek help, who stay on top of their issues and their medication, and go see their doctor regularly as criminals and report them to NICS you'll have more issues in the long run because people will quit seeking help.

With socialization of healthcare you can bet that eventually a HIPPA exception is going to be made and require doctors to report those seeking help for mental health issues. And that is my concern.

RugersGR8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
About what? The definition or gun owners having mental problems?

The definition/categorization/diagnosis/etc.

That's the part that's scary. A bunch of educated intellectuals most of if not all of whom have the slightest clue about weapons, their use or capabilities.

Remember the big "to-do" that was raised when doctors started asking(questionaire) patients if they own firearms. It scares the heck out of me WHO GETS TO SAY WHO HAS MENTAL PROBLEMS AND WHO DOES NOT HAVE MENTAL PROBLEMS. IMHO, a lot of doctors(AMA, American Academy of Pediatrics, etc.) already have anti-gun leanings that they could implement into anti-gun agenda(s). That being said, I do agree that there are people with mental problems that should not have access to firearms.

http://fox43.com/2014/11/25/doctors-keep-asking-patients-whether-they-own-a-gun/
Doctors keep asking patients whether they own a gun
Posted 10:30 PM, November 25, 2014, by eyates2013, Updated at 10:32pm, November 25, 2014

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom