Senate passes a sweeping Tax Reform Bill.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huntemup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
By not mentioning Trump, they're actually doing him a favor given how unpopular this Tax reform is. Besides, its not like the tweeter in chief needs anyone giving him a nod for anything as there's never been anyone more capable of patting himself on the back.

While I generally hate partisan politics as a whole- regardless of party, it's incredibly sad to see what the pubs have morphed into and that's even before our orange overlord darkened the doors of the White House. It's gonna be interesting to watch the dems flip the house and senate next year and watch pub incumbents tie themselves into knots trying to defend their vote for this tax bill that much like Obamacare, wasn't even read or understood by most who voted for it. Watching #45 try and spin the reason he managed to lose a majority in house and senate is at the very least, going to be entertaining.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
By not mentioning Trump, they're actually doing him a favor given how unpopular this Tax reform is. Besides, its not like the tweeter in chief needs anyone giving him a nod for anything as there's never been anyone more capable of patting himself on the back.

While I generally hate partisan politics as a whole- regardless of party, it's incredibly sad to see what the pubs have morphed into and that's even before our orange overlord darkened the doors of the White House. It's gonna be interesting to watch the dems flip the house and senate next year and watch pub incumbents tie themselves into knots trying to defend their vote for this tax bill that much like Obamacare, wasn't even read or understood by most who voted for it. Watching #45 try and spin the reason he managed to lose a majority in house and senate is at the very least, going to be entertaining.

If that helps you sleep at night, OK. I’m enough of a realist to say holding the Senate will be interesting yet I don’t think all the lessons of 2016 have been learned. The numbers for flipping the House are not in favor of the Dems, IMO.

huntemup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If that helps you sleep at night, OK. I’m enough of a realist to say holding the Senate will be interesting yet I don’t think all the lessons of 2016 have been learned. The numbers for flipping the House are not in favor of the Dems, IMO.

Yeah, I just looked at the seats that will be up and the districts they fall in and how those districts voted in last presidential election and realized that taking the house might be a stretch but I can see them getting very close. We shall see.

That said, I don't sleep much anyway. It has next to nothing to do with politics, but reading through the ridiculous things that come out of Washington, as well as the commentary by those choosing to exist in their own echo chambers, certainly doesn't help.

Never Trumpers are clearly blinded to some realities that exist outside their bubble.
But sadly, I think the "trump can do no wrong" crowd have gone full in on the victimhood - "don't attack my president" mantra that the Obama fanboys had perfected during his 8 years.

It just never fails to amaze me how so many can be so willing to check their own ideals, morals, brain cells, and common sense at the curb just so that they can stay on board the (R) or (D) train.

You don't have to be a flaming liberal to call trump an idiot when he so clearly is or at the very least call him out for something he's done that you'd hate if the other team did. That doesn't make you anything other than a reasonable person capabale of recognizing stupid when you see it.
Likewise, you weren't necessarily a racist simply for disagreeing with Obama on policy or his view of where he wanted to take America.

There is room to disagree about politics across the spectrum but we should all be able to be equally critical of the president and his actions even if you happen to agree with him on some things.

Last edited:

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, are you ignoring or just haven't seen the good things that this administration has accomplished? The economy and unemployment numbers are improving, and the tax "reform" will probably still have a positive effect on the stock market. I can say that not everything Trump does/advocates is a good thing, but we are seeing some improvement in this country. As far as I am concerned, returning some of the federal lands is also a good thing because it will allow the tax base in the states to be expanded.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This corporate tax reduction is going to have the biggest positive and favorable impact on the US economy. And that is the reason for the bill. If you have any investments or a 401K, you have already had a taste of what is coming. My 401k is up 30% year to date. People seem to forget, companies don't effectively pay taxes, customers do. The price of goods and services include all costs including taxes. Immediately and currently we are seeing how this corporate tax reduction is impacting investors, by the increases in stock prices.

If you listen to the liberal media and their class warfare, Trump and the republicans are out to kill you and your future and that is being regurgitated in posts in this thread.

Really, if you think about it, the large corporate tax break will impact the economy more than giving individuals large tax breaks. This tax reduction is going to reset the US Economy. Corporations will do one or any mix of the following and all will favorably impact the economy:
Grow the company
Hire more people
Buy more equipment
Increase returns to investors
And to stay or become more competitive, reduce prices of their goods and services

So if you are a customer, a worker or an investor you have or will see more money in your pocket.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, to lower the US corporate tax rate, being the highest in the world, will make US companies more competitive both domestically and internationally. We might actually be able to buy American instead of Chinese for similar prices.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, are you ignoring or just haven't seen the good things that this administration has accomplished? The economy and unemployment numbers are improving, and the tax "reform" will probably still have a positive effect on the stock market. I can say that not everything Trump does/advocates is a good thing, but we are seeing some improvement in this country. As far as I am concerned, returning some of the federal lands is also a good thing because it will allow the tax base in the states to be expanded.

I simultaneously agree with your post and huntmup’s...but you highlight his point when you use unemployment numbers as proof of Trump’s effect.

We lambasted the government supplied unemployment numbers for the last 8 years. We said they were misleading and the methodology behind them is flawed. When they improved prior to the 2012 election we said they were a lie. We said Obama’s policies had no effect on declining unemployment #’s (Unemployment #’s have been in decline since the end of 2009).

Now that a Republican is in office, we trust those numbers again? Now that Trump has been in office for not even a year, the low unemployment #’s are solely due to his policies?

Can’t have it both ways.

I have hope for this tax plan now, even if it abandons certain decades old conservative talking points. Maybe Trump will actually get his infrastructure package going (instead of trying to destroy the FAA) and we can see real work being done on our infrastructure. That would be cool.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Yes the Stock Market is setting records which also means corporations are seeing huge profits. Where are the rank and file wage increases? In the pockets of CEOs, thats where. If you think allowing them to profit more through tax cuts is going to help middle class workers wages, you need to do a lot more research because you are wrong.
Corporations dont give 2 cents about its workers or this country. Corporations dont even have a country, they move here and yonder to position themselves where they can profit even more. So we just handed them a freeby.
Trickle down has been proven to fail. Remember Reagan did this too and a few short years after seeing the results he had to raise those taxes back up to undo the F-up he created.

Latest posts

Top Bottom