Senate republicans give Obama new powers, but they are still classified.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Therein lies the biggest problem with short term limits Dennis. If the politicians are in and out frequently, the most seasoned and knowledgeable people on capitol hill will be the lobbyists and their power and influence will be even greater. That scares the $%^# out of me(even though I know there are people like Thurmond, Feinstein, Hatch, Boxer, etc.). I think we definitely need some reform with regards to lobbying before we start term limiting our politicians.

I've always said that all paid lobbyists should be banned. If Monsanto wants to talk a pol into introducing or voting for a piece of legislation, then the CEO of Monsanto should show up with hat in hand and a good justification.

IF I were ever elected to an office in DC, I'd have three questions of every person that darkened my door:

What is your position in the company or organization you're representing here today?
What are the benefits of your proposal for the United States?
What are the drawbacks of your proposal for the United States?

If you don't have quality answers for those three questions, you'd be very unlikely to get my support. Obviously I'd be the most disliked pol on the hill and no one would contribute to my campaign, so it's unlikely I'll ever have to worry about that problem. :)

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Therein lies the biggest problem with short term limits Dennis. If the politicians are in and out frequently, the most seasoned and knowledgeable people on capitol hill will be the lobbyists and their power and influence will be even greater. That scares the $%^# out of me(even though I know there are people like Thurmond, Feinstein, Hatch, Boxer, etc.). I think we definitely need some reform with regards to lobbying before we start term limiting our politicians.

I'm a proponent of term limits, but I agree that term limits can also produce pay for play scenario's where a legislator gets a bonus for their vote.

Lobby's are a necessary evil in a representative style of government IMHO. We as individual citizens rely on lobbies to advance our agenda. Yes, we need to limit lobbies. I agree totally. How, is beyond my position in life, but it certainly needs to involve payoffs and bonuses.
I had a job at one time as a purchasing agent for a large company. The incentive to buy a product for "bonuses" was certainly out there if somebody was inclined to take advantage of it.

As far as a legislator being in office for a long term, making them more knowledgeable, I dispute this. IMHO it make their staff more aware as the staff is what runs the office of the legislator.
The legislator does not sit at their desk and pour over books of legal codes and make determinations about the legal questions they are asked by their constituents. The staff does that for them.

Most likely the majority of them don't understand the legalities of the laws they vote to pass.

You can't tell me that a dirt farmer that goes to congress can write a law in legalese that will pass the supreme court. Its the staff that does this.

When an R takes over an office that was formerly represented by a D, they likely get the same staff.

So now we have an issue of the staff changing their coats after an election and being fair, while being a government worker?

How can the "staff" serving a Dem all of a sudden become an advocate of tea party principles?

TenBears

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's as if the established politicians have reached a point where they don't care that we know they are bought and paid for. They answer to their owners and not the people, and they no longer even want to have the appearance that they work for the people. I talk to some people who think inhofe is great because of his experience, and I think a large amount of our country's demise has occurred under his watch and responsibility.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's as if the established politicians have reached a point where they don't care that we know they are bought and paid for. They answer to their owners and not the people, and they no longer even want to have the appearance that they work for the people. I talk to some people who think inhofe is great because of his experience, and I think a large amount of our country's demise has occurred under his watch and responsibility.

Not just national politicians... even a large number of our state representatives and senators will not so much as respond to a call or an email.

Is there anyone alive who truly thinks the majority of our elected representatives truly represent the best interest of their constituents? I sure as hell don't.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well Langford went back on Rick Robert's show yesterday. But they kind of got off into the weeds and bogged down, didn't cover a whole lot of ground. But his facebook page is getting lit up today. :hyper:

TenBears

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oklahomans love us some establishment republicans, if we could put in a few liberty minded conservative types the leadership might perk up a little. I think all the Oklahoma R's just worry about getting invited to Lindsey Graham's masquerade balls.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well Langford went back on Rick Robert's show yesterday. But they kind of got off into the weeds and bogged down, didn't cover a whole lot of ground. But his facebook page is getting lit up today. :hyper:

But Lankford ran a church camp before we sent him to Congress...he's exactly who we should have making decisions on international trade.

Latest posts

Top Bottom