Senate republicans give Obama new powers, but they are still classified.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Buddy and I talked about this today. He is looking for a garden tiller, and can't figure why his weed eater won't run after a year, even though he took proper maintenance before storing it.
The stuff we have to buy now is throw away. Its not designed nor intended to last several seasons.
My Grandpa had a cast iron block B&D tiller that he and 7 children used to work their gardens for 10 or more years that I can remember. When it was hard to start, it got rebuilt for a few bucks.

Now when they don't start, we throw them in the trash and get another one.
American built meant quality back in the day. We sure don't have that now.

http://www.stihlusa.com/home/built-in-america/

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I absolutely agree.
I will have to say some of the best machined pipe fittings I've ever seen came from china sadly. Even precision class 5 Timken thrust bearings come from there now.
We will be a car sales person economy in the future. All service work, no manufacturing.

Yes and they say our manufacturing capability will never be caught up to. That's utter BS right there. China can do amazing things in manufacturing and they get better every year. I can say without any doubt that an American manufacturer would be hard pressed to duplicate the iPhone manufacturing quality and capacity even at an increased cost. Then there's Italy (Benelli shotguns? find me one that is comparable here), Germany, bloody old England, and many many others. We can't even put a man on the ISS without Russia's help. I have a background in manufacturing and know of what I speak.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Of the items I listed at HD or Lowes, show me one that is made in the USA. Just one...

I agree with you if you are talking full on industrial grade. But consider this. Once upon a time you could walk into Sears and buy any tool or appliance you wanted and know it was coming from somewhere in America. Now you can't find one that does.

Trade war? So what? That means we go back to making our own stuff? I'll pay $150 for a Milwaukee drill if it's made here with old school quality. The one in my tool box is Chinese. :(

You will have to look elsewhere to find your higher quality, American made tools. Snap-on and Matco are not peddled in the wal-mart and target versions of tool stores.

One thing though is that some, and I stress some, of the foreign tools have gotten a lot better than the recent past. They are more expensive than before but they are actually something worth having as opposed to the cheapest junk you can buy.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

A majority of STIHL powerheads are built in the United States from domestic and foreign parts and components. "Number one selling brand" is based on syndicated Irwin Broh Research as well as independent consumer research of 2009-2014 U.S. sales and market share data for the gasoline-powered handheld outdoor power equipment category combined sales to consumers and commercial landscapers. ©2015 STIHL

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So is stihl junk?

Never said that. Stihl is one of the bright spots we have left. Also agree with you on the Chinese see my post at #62.

I just bought a jigsaw from Switzerland. It's a Bosch and is utterly amazing in it's smoothness, power and build quality. But they did buy out the company that invented them back in 1954.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Right on the 1st page of your link. Emphasis mine...

Umm... If it has any electronics on board, chances are they will be foreignly sourced, right? That goes for battery cells too, i'd imagine.

Also, doesn't the auto industry have to say how much of each vehicle comes from different countries? IE X% is usa sourced, X is asia, etc? I thought i heard a few years ago that many of the Japanese makers actually had more parts/assembly in the USA than many of the big 3.

My point is that finding anything electronic that is 100% USA will be tough anymore.

TenBears

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What jobs does Oklahoma have for a young college or HS grad? In tulsa I knew people that worked at Rockwell,AA, and Boeing, are there still places like that?

Latest posts

Top Bottom