Senator Schumer says no gun registry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This guy will say anything to try and get people to support his crap. He knows dang well he wants registration. That is why they want ffl's to record what model and the serial numbers for. It will eventually happen regardless of what that fool says.

ttownokie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm watching the Senate judiciary committee hearings on guns on cspan right now. While talking about the UBC legislation that they are currently working on in the Senate, Sen Schumer just addressed gun registration . Specifically he said "it won't create any gun registry. That is already illegal and it will be repeated as illegal in our law."

If that is the case, I'm going to have a hard time finding a reason to not support it. I know there is already a thread asking if you would support ubc with no registry. So my question is, if they propose UBCs and specifically prohibit a gun registry, what are we to be afraid of?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Just trust us, there wont be a gun registry, promise! Tell me why the gun type and serial are on the atf forms already then? Thought it was just a background check!?

frankos72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So how long after the sale do the FFLs destroy their records?

One FFL told me that the law was 10 years... but that he never destroyed them. I'd like to think that if the law is 10 years, then after 11 or 12, my FFL would destroy the records. Kinda trying to keep a statute of limitations on the "registry being held by the FFLs"

That said, what do you FFL guys say. Is there a time limit to which you are required by law to keep the 4473's around?

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've read that all electronic and voice communications are recorded by the NSA. It sits there permanently in the form of "raw data." Data storage has become cheap and data storage capacity massive.

If this is correct and "data mining" technology continues to advance, it will become possible and "justifiable" to search that raw data anytime a "national emergency" occurs.

cktad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One FFL told me that the law was 10 years... but that he never destroyed them. I'd like to think that if the law is 10 years, then after 11 or 12, my FFL would destroy the records. Kinda trying to keep a statute of limitations on the "registry being held by the FFLs"

That said, what do you FFL guys say. Is there a time limit to which you are required by law to keep the 4473's around?
20 years, see below para 4.
http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5320-8/atf-p-5320-8-chapter-12.pdf
Section 12.7 Record retention period. The regulations provided under the NFA, specifically 27 CFR
479.131, provide that the retention periods for required records shall be in conformity with the
requirements specified under Part 478. As provided by Part 478:
(1) Records of firearms transactions maintained by licensed importers and licensed manufacturers
must maintain permanent records of the importation, manufacture, or other acquisition of
firearms.197
(2) Licensed importer’s and manufacturer’s records of sales or other disposition of firearms over
the age of 20 years may be discarded.198
(3) The A & D Records prepared by licensed dealers and licensed collectors over 20 years of age
may be discarded.
(4) All FFLs shall retain each Form 4473 and 4473(LV) for a period not less than 20 years from
the date of sale or disposition of the firearms. Forms 4473 obtained by FFLs where the NICS
check was initiated, but the sale, delivery, or transfer of the firearm was not completed must be
retained for a period of not less than 5 years.199

n2sooners

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A 20 year list of firearm sales including names and serial numbers. Isn't that basically a gun registry list? I wouldn't have as big a problem with universal background checks if records were less detailed and not kept so long.

That said, I think universal background checks are unconstitutional anyway. They have nothing to do with interstate commerce and congress has no other authority to require them. UBC should be left up to the states.

Latest posts

Top Bottom