Senator Schumer says no gun registry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abajaj11

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm watching the Senate judiciary committee hearings on guns on cspan right now. While talking about the UBC legislation that they are currently working on in the Senate, Sen Schumer just addressed gun registration . Specifically he said "it won't create any gun registry. That is already illegal and it will be repeated as illegal in our law."

If that is the case, I'm going to have a hard time finding a reason to not support it. I know there is already a thread asking if you would support ubc with no registry. So my question is, if they propose UBCs and specifically prohibit a gun registry, what are we to be afraid of?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
Did you expect him to admit that a mandated UBC will necessarily lead to a gun registry.
they are doing it one baby step at a time.
Mandated UBC checks today, then a bit of time elapses, then Obama issues an executive order that creates something like a gun registry in order to properly monitor if the law is being followed. They won;t call it a gun registry...they'll call it gun safety records or some such crap....
but it will be a registry none the less...giving the feds any more authority than they have already usurped is crazy.....especially under this administration.
:)

abajaj11

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A 20 year list of firearm sales including names and serial numbers. Isn't that basically a gun registry list? I wouldn't have as big a problem with universal background checks if records were less detailed and not kept so long.

That said, I think universal background checks are unconstitutional anyway. They have nothing to do with interstate commerce and congress has no other authority to require them. UBC should be left up to the states.
No it's not a gun registry list...because the ATF has no right to access the individual paper copies of the 4473 unless a crime is suspected.
If all records were computerized and made available to the ATf any time they wanted, then it would be a gun registry.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is no need for a list of who owns guns...Hell this is Oklahoma, if you have a pulse then you have a gun somewhere in the house!

All they need to do is go door to door and collect the guns from every breathing citizen of the state.
If they don't have guns they get an apology for tearing up the house to search for the evil gun.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That said, I think universal background checks are unconstitutional anyway. They have nothing to do with interstate commerce and congress has no other authority to require them. UBC should be left up to the states.
This. The idea of a UBC is bigger than just the 2A considerations--despite the misguided bleatings of the SCOTUS since the New Deal, the Federal gov't has no role to play in intrastate commerce (remember, if a power is not granted to the Feds in the Constitution, it's reserved to the states or the people), and allowing the to exercise yet another power that they've pulled out of their collective arse is further tilting the balance of power towards the Federal gov't and driving another nail in the coffin of the rule of law and the Constitution. There can be no compromise on this--it must be fought.

Also, if Chuckie Schumer tells you water's wet, feel it.

n2sooners

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No it's not a gun registry list...because the ATF has no right to access the individual paper copies of the 4473 unless a crime is suspected.
If all records were computerized and made available to the ATf any time they wanted, then it would be a gun registry.

What I'm saying is they know who has the records and the records tell them who has a gun. When the time comes they don't have to start from scratch, they have an instant registry. And if they can add private sales to that list it makes it even more extensive. Obama doesn't care about the law, the constitution, or the courts. His NLRB appointees have been found unconstitutional by the courts. But they have been doing their job for a year and plan to keep doing it regardless of what the court says.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do not support ubc for many of the already stated reasons and at first didn't think it would have enough support. BUT, I've been listening to Sirius Patriot radio lately and to my surprise the conservative talk guys are okay with increased background checks. They talk about supporting 2nd Amendment and gun rights BUT they don't see the problem with "reasonable" background checks. Really concerns me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom