Shade Fabric Project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My house is built around an open-air Atrium, approx 14' X 16'. We have access to it from patio doors from both the living room and the master bedroom. It was one of the selling points of the house to us, as we can enjoy outdoor living in total privacy. We have a hot tub in the Atrium and a Chiminea. It's a nice place to relax and hang out, unless the weather is extreme that is. Now, as summer approaches, I am going to build an awning out of PVC Pipe and shade fabric to drape over the crossbeam that spans the length of the Atrium to give us a little relief from that hot sun. My thoughts are to make two rectangular panels, each one approx 6' X 15 feet to drape over that crossbeam you can see in the pics and then attach to the sides with heavy duty zip ties or bungee cord fixed to eye bolts in the house. I've done this same kind of awning in previous years, but have used wood as the end pieces rather than PVC. But the wood warps, and I have even had a couple of these break in strong winds. This kind of shade fabric thing generally lasts about 3 years, (3 summers that is). Then the heat and weather deteriorates the fabric after that and it's time to replace.

So, check the pics to get an idea of what I am covering and let me know your thoughts on how I could improve this shade project, but still allow natural light through for the plants we have in the Atrium as well.
5d4147a0d1f2f21d0df2724a869c6a8e.jpg
1a7faa9fa48980c50c9b115387b6685c.jpg
9767825a04c25cc57684d8c8207ba6c4.jpg
796dfc072dbbe3698d7846d56aae214c.jpg

Ethan N

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You mentioned wood warping being a problem. I don't know how straight you need to end pieces to stay, but, depending on type, PVC pipe will flex quite a bit and may end up degrading sooner than 3 years in that environment. Not sure what your budget is, but $100 could probably get you enough steel tube for the end pieces.

I like the atrium. A few weeks ago my wife and I were talking about a similar idea for our future house. Do you get much air flow through those windows/doors?

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Use the type of material for boat covers and Bimini tops. There is a couple custom boat cover makers that could make you nice peice. I take mine down in the winter and have gotten 8 years out of it.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Green house shade cloth is what you want. It will allow enough sun for plants. Rain will come through it, so no sagging pockets full of water. It is UV resistant for long life.

Latest posts

Top Bottom