Flooding!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, flooding...in my kitchen. Woke up this morning and walked in to get a cup of coffee. Even in my sleep-fogged state, I soon realized I was walking in water. Crap.

See, my house is built around an open-air atrium of about 17 X 13 feet, and it's sunken down from the foundation about 4-5 inches, with a drain in one corner. It's pretty cool, there a patio door into the atrium from the living room, and another in the master bedroom. I have a hot tub, and lounge chairs, and a chimenea out there. It's great; especially in the winter, when I keep the hot tub at 101F. Well, apparently, it rained so hard last night that the little drain in the atrium couldn't keep up and water seeped over the stem wall, (I think) and ran in and onto my kitchen floor. Not a major thing, it was like someone dumped a couple of gallons of water on the floor is all. So far.

So using like 8 big towels, I sopped up the water and tried to keep the dog out of it, but of course, he too wanted to get down with me and help me by sopping up water with his fur as he rolled happily in the water then ran to the bedroom to shake like crazy. Thanks Rocco; big help.

I live near Reno and Mustang Road. According to KFOR Channel 4 news, we got between 6-8 inches of rain last night. On the map they showed on TV, my house was in the small purple zone; the zone of heaviest rainfall.

Did anyone else experience flooding issues from this weather event?

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Whaaaaaaat? Wow, thassa lotta watta, man.

Suckage. Hope there's no lasting damage. That drain may have some roots or something growing inside the pipe or some kind of detritus that is slowing it down a little bit. Get that sucker roto-rootered.

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Fans are a-going! Still raining here; although it's slowed considerably. I recently went out and ran a snake down that drain; and I have a screen over it to keep crap from clogging it up too. I think it just rained so hard and so long that it couldn't keep up. Doesn't appear to have gotten up in the drywall, a closer inspection is about to take place, now that I have done the initial clean up.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep it poured a lot.
We had issues with water when I first bought the house here in Yukon as did all the other neighbors in the circle.
I fixed all my issues and a couple neighbors issues.
First thing I look at when buying a house is drainage.

I just bought one off May and 13th and that old house sits crooked because of all the water that has been flowing under it for decades.
I fixed all those issues.
Hope yours is all well druryj

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hopefully no lasting damage from the high water.

Appears the atrium in the center of the house are pretty common in your area.

Yeah, several houses in my neighborhood have them. From my roof, I can see like 5 or 6. It would be prohibitively expensive to build like this today! I really, really like having it.

foghorn918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My rain gauge is over flowing, to the top of it measures 6.5" , so I'm betting we got around 7" here too. Close to NW 10th and Yukon Parkway (Mustang Road).

Latest posts

Top Bottom