Shade Fabric Project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That will be very nice! Just don't fall!

Yeah, I thought about that.

Green house shade cloth is what you want. It will allow enough sun for plants. Rain will come through it, so no sagging pockets full of water. It is UV resistant for long life.

That's what I'm using. It's the Sunbrella brand, as was mentioned.

Dbleak is pretty persistent. Lol.

Yes, he is. Or else...well, they say the memory is a fragile thing.

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sunbrella is the way to go.

Truman's Fabric and Foam has a good selection. Tell them "Woody" sent you. We did business with them for more than 20 years, treated us fairly, and the prices were always the lowest we could find.

Woody

Thanks, but I've already got the stuff. I'll keep these guys in mind for another shade project I am thinking on though.

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t know why that posted twice. I deleted one of them. The site has been acting kinda funky for me this morning?

No problemo. I have to have something like a porous fabric to allow some sunlight through. But for a Shade Sail Project, which may be next for my backyard, this stuff you mention might be the ticket.

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
PVC pipes , gets weak and brittle in sunlight, also.

True, but the PVC will be wrapped with the fabric so that should protect it quite a bit.

Don't do anything...

...you need sunlight for natural Vitamin D (I think it's D).

Also, a shade will hamper our ability to use drones to check you out.

Wondering if 71/2 or 8 shot would be okay for drones?

You mentioned wood warping being a problem. I don't know how straight you need to end pieces to stay, but, depending on type, PVC pipe will flex quite a bit and may end up degrading sooner than 3 years in that environment. Not sure what your budget is, but $100 could probably get you enough steel tube for the end pieces.

I like the atrium. A few weeks ago my wife and I were talking about a similar idea for our future house. Do you get much air flow through those windows/doors?

Yes, if we open both patio doors and the windows on the adjacent sides that are in the kitchen and in the entry way, we do get a good air flow, what few days in Oklahoma you actually can enjoy a nice cooling breeze that is. And as far as steel, I did think about that, but man, that gets awful heavy. I may oughta look at aluminum poles instead though, all things considered.

Latest posts

Top Bottom