Sharps Carbine family heirloom (pic heavy)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Thought I'd share a few pics and ask for any help identifying this Sharps Carbine rifle. This is a family heirloom that is being passed from by father-in-law to my wife. According to him, this Sharps was carried in two land runs by his family. In the second run, they claimed a section of land in modern-day Wynnewood. This land, like this rifle, is still in the family. It's excellent hunting property and will be passed on to her as well.

Anyway, back to the Sharps. Based on what I know, this is a converted "new model 1859" that should shoot 50-70 blackpowder cartridges. As it stands right now, I'm not planning on shooting this rifle. It's heritage is far too important to the family to risk damaging it. I am currently trying to get a hold of the owner of the original Sharps records to determine specifics on the rifle. I have a feeling that this was a rearsenaled (and updated) sharps that one might find in a general store back in the day. It would not surprise me if it has Civil War Heritage. I hope to find out!

My FIL was under the impression that it was a still paper cartridge firing rifle, but upon close inspection, it's obvious that it was converted. Too bad, an original Sharps would be worth a mint! This one, we are estimating to be worth about $2,000.00

Serial:36556

1.jpg

2.jpg
Bore shows considerable wear or gunk. will try to clean tonight, very gently.

3.jpg
Action works smoothly and is all original. Breech block has no slop.
4.jpg
Carbine is missing the original Saddle ring, but the ring retainer is still there, but bent. I'm on the fence about replacing the ring, but would not dare to straighten the retainer.

Last edited:

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
5.jpg
Stock has no patch box, another sign that the rifle was updated for metallic cartridges. Stock also has a repaired crack (not shown).
6.jpg
Original fore end it worn, but in very good condition.
7.jpg
Original flip up rear sight is still functional
8.jpg
Breech has a very nice Patina, very little rust or pitting present inside.

Last edited:

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
9.jpg
This photo clearly shows the updated breech with an extractor (bottom left) and recess for a rimmed metallic cartridge.
11.jpg
The rifles 'best side' - beautiful! The lever "take-down pin" mechanism seems odd. I'm looking for more info on it. The squared off hammer is a clear indication of an updated rifle. Rather than striking a nipple where a percussion cap would go, it contacts the firing pin assembly. The hand guard locking mechanism works just fine, but is in it's unlocked position because I was taking photos.
12.jpg
Breech closed, the updated breech block carrying a firing pin can be seen.
13.jpg
Closer look into the bore from the receiver

Last edited:

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Thanks Okie4570. I'd love to, but I don't think the bore is safe to shoot anymore. I'm seriously considering buying a box of ammo from Buffalo Arms for it though, so we can make shadowbox display for it with any paperwork I can find.

It's a shame the bore is so bad. The action is perfectly smooth, as though it had been put together yesterday! No slop in the breech, nice strong hammer spring. Even the break-over trigger guard catch is functional. It's absolutely beautiful and will be the centerpiece of our collection without a doubt.

I haven't pulled the trigger to check the action, but I am sure it's in as good a shape as the rest of the receive.r It's just the barrel that looks like hell.

Latest posts

Top Bottom