Sharps Carbine family heirloom (pic heavy)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Maybe once this rifle is officially passed to her and we have his blessing to attempt to shoot it, we would consider it. As it stands right now, he hasn't even shot it. I am happy to help him maintain it for now.

Des547

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Treat this ole girl like she was fine china. Be careful in cleaning the light surface rust that you don't remove any of the patina. I wouldn't worry about replacing anything on her as the patina isn't going to match anyway. Try to bring it to the Wannamacker (?) gun show this fall in Tulsa and have the two guys from the NRA look it over and give you a best guess as to what it is worth. And you'll get to be on TV. Then insure it for that.

Des

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The bore may be in better shape than you know. If you do fire her, just remember to keep her clean. She's a real looker!! 50-70 is nothing more than a .50 caliber projectile over 70 grains of black powder, and is actually a some what light load compared to other Sharps rifle chamberings. If the action is as tight and smooth as you say it is, she'll probably shoot just fine.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I was shocked at how well the action works in this gun. I was expecting it to be difficult to cycle and feel gritty due to pitting and such. To my amazement, the old girl popped open easily, the trigger lock spring works, the lever fully extends and does without grabbing, grinding or being difficult in any way. The breech block has been kept well oiled (maybe too much oil) and is free from rust. The hammer cocks smoothly and the trigger works well, but has a very high pull weight.

I plan on running a synthetic bristle brush and some patches through the bore this evening to see what kids of crud I can get out. I have also found the proper period collectable ammo for the rifle to be added to the display.

I'm not sure if we're doing a horizontal wall display, or making a standing cabinet. Either way, we're very excited to have it in our home!

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Love seeing these pop up.

I have some kroil if you need it. I'd only use it to clean the bore. I'd use Ballistol after the kroil on the bore and for the rest of it, it'll keep the rust away, it's a decent lube and it's good for the wood too. If you shoot it with BP loads Ballistol mixed with water is what you want to clean with. Great gun you have there!

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Thank you Shadowrider,

Kroil was exactly what I had in mind. I've got about 1/2 a can left that should do the trick nicely. It's nice to be able to keep a coating of oil on the metal while you clean and Kroil fits the bill perfectly followed by a swab with Rem Oil

Latest posts

Top Bottom