Sharps Carbine family heirloom (pic heavy)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Agreed. This rifle represents the heritage of my wife's family that is held with high regard and reverence. it is both celebrated and cherished and I'm fortunate to be a member of their clan.

I have very little family history. It's never been important to anyone in my family to pass on heirlooms, or heritage and it left me feeling as though a piece of my soul was empty. I had tried several times to fill in the family tree and learn my heritage before both sets of my grandparents passed, but was unable to do because they never wanted to talk about things. My parents are even worse. I was a sentimental man without a sentimental family.

My FIL actually tried to hand this rifle down to me. I was shocked and honored but insisted that it be passed to my wife. That I was just a member of the family. she IS family. He seemed to genuinely appreciate the fact that I understood the gravity of the transaction. It was the first time he had ever called me 'son' instead of 'young man' - I know it sounds silly but at the very moment I think I got some dust in my eye, and a that darn ragweed made my throat itch. This man raises world champion black and tan coon hounds for a living, raises cattle and horses and lives on the section mentioned above in . . .and me, the city kid, married his only daughter. I had a lot to prove to him. I like to think I'm getting there.

To this very day, the only heirloom I have from my family is a Case pocket knife that my grandfather carried every day of his adult life before he passed. For some reason, that's the only thing my mother thought I should have. I have nothing from my fathers side.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Beautiful gun. Would I shoot it? Absolutely. After a gunsmith checked it out for headspace and stuff like that. I'm betting that barrel isn't as bad as it looks.
Just because the cartridge says 50-70 doesn't mean you have to put 70 grains of powder in it. You could start with a lighter load and use corn meal or grits as a filler over the BP.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll bet it'll shoot, and I look at it just like I look at flying vintage aircraft. We know they'll fly. They've done their jobs, and generally done them well. But, they should be appreciated and preserved. Chances are very high that shooting this old beauty will not harm it or you, but why take even the slightest risk with such a treasure?

The rifle represents a lot of things to you, and giving it one last use won't really strengthen those connections.

Congratulations on having this in your family!

Nice photos.

Incidentally a lot of my associates do not agree with my position on flying vintage aircraft. When someone in England crashed the last operable Mosquito several years ago, I changed my views. Keep 'em, polish 'em, admire 'em, and if you really must have the experience either buy or build a nice replica. Saw a pic of a replica ME 262 recently that raised my heart rate, and I'm not even a pilot . . .

Latest posts

Top Bottom