Shipping a firearm through FedEx as a Non FFL

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reedman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They didn't ask, I didn't say, package made it to Colt and back just fine. I don't remember how it was addressed but it wasn't something obvious like to "Colt Firearms", but I couldn't help but wonder what the delivery guy who pulled up to the Colt facility thought was in it. I'm pretty sure he had been there before. :pms2:
The delivery address not being "Colt Firearms" is probably for the benefit of obscuring the actual recipient from all the eyes that will encounter it in the shipping pipeline. It's liable to go through multiple FedEx hands in the process. And the eventual delivery driver has probably already been vetted numerous times, otherwise they wouldn't have that stop on their route (Hopefully!).

Last edited:

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The delivery address not being "Colt Firearms" is probably for the benefit of obscuring the actual recipient from all the eyes that will encounter it in the shipping pipeline. It's liable to go through multiple FedEx hands in the process. And the eventual delivery driver has probably already been vetted numerous times, otherwise they wouldn't have that stop on their route.

It’s still nerve wracking.

I’ve never had one get lost or stolen, but it still makes me shiver a little when I hand one off or the mfg sends me a tracking number.

Schlafftablett

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok. I’m a FFL and have had a FedEx account for nearly 20 years and we ship about 1000 guns a year.

As you found out, only hubs will pack and ship firearms and will usually only ship to dealers or manufacturers regardless of the law.

FedEx stores cannot accept firearms for shipment per company policy and by law you must declare the contents of the package.

When you’re provided with a label, the provider has already made that declaration and if you pack the firearm yourself, there is no reason to tell the drop point what is in it.

If you pack it yourself that means you can literally drop it anywhere, at any location. Hell, you can even hand it to an express driver who is delivering at your house if you can catch one.

Again, this is all company policy stuff and since the declaration was made when the label was generated, you’re in no way rubbing afoul of the law.

Hmoob_Mikah

Marksman
Reaction score
Ok. I’m a FFL and have had a FedEx account for nearly 20 years and we ship about 1000 guns a year.

As you found out, only hubs will pack and ship firearms and will usually only ship to dealers or manufacturers regardless of the law.

FedEx stores cannot accept firearms for shipment per company policy and by law you must declare the contents of the package.

When you’re provided with a label, the provider has already made that declaration and if you pack the firearm yourself, there is no reason to tell the drop point what is in it.

If you pack it yourself that means you can literally drop it anywhere, at any location. Hell, you can even hand it to an express driver who is delivering at your house if you can catch one.

Again, this is all company policy stuff and since the declaration was made when the label was generated, you’re in no way rubbing afoul of the law.
Thanks for your insight. I asked my sister to drop it off for me, since they might remember my face from a couple of days ago. They didn't say anything, so things went smoothly.

don ewald

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone know where in Tulsa a FedEx that will accept a firearm to ship? I got a prepaid label from my gun manufacturer that I need shipped out.
Over the years I've shipped un untold number of firearms via USPS, UPS and FedX. I send them like I would a rock. There is nothing that asks you what's in your box. People overthink things.
Anyone know where in Tulsa a FedEx that will accept a firearm to ship? I got a prepaid label from my gun manufacturer that I need shipped out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom